Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-26-2005, 11:04 AM

Default $25-$50 NL KJo in the bb

I don't normally play this sort of game but I'm pretty sure there are 2 guys in it who do not know how to play poker so I'm taking a shot.
5 handed, I'm in the bb. Folded to the sb who makes it $150. He has been raising quite a bit preflop, and has raised 4 times in a row or so when it was folded to him in the sb. I have $7000 he has me covered. I've been folding to his raises, and we haven't really been involved in a hand. He has shown a willingness to fold to smallish preflop re-raises, but he has also called some sizeable all-in re-raises from short stacks with hands like 88 and A2s.
Anyway, he makes it $150 I re-raise to $500 with KJo. He calls. Flop comes J75 rainbow. He checks, I bet $750 he calls. Turn A putting 2 hearts on board. He checks. My play?
Old 12-26-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: $25-$50 NL KJo in the bb

check turn, try to get to river cheap. He may have a hand like JT QJ and you cant call a CR now. Id check and call a reasonably river bet barring a T or Q showing up.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:44 PM

i would bet 1600-1800...
if he calls, i would check any river through but a J.
if he checkraise, v v tough decision, probably fold.
if he calls and leads river foldfodlfodlfoffldfold, unless he makes some weak post oak bluff, then youll have to decide whether to pay off or bluff raise all in.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:06 PM

I agree with all of this. I do think this is a good card for villain to C/R any kind of draw or even a hand like 88 on a bluff. The reasoning is that he probably expects you to check the turn with a hand like AK, AQ. I'd still bet the turn though and I don't think you can call a C/R given most opponent's hand ranges.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:11 PM

if it's a great card for villain to bluff c/r and we're not calling a c/r, why on earth are we betting?
Old 12-26-2005, 02:15 PM

I like checking behind and call most rivers. Also, i think the PR re-raise is bad, If you're going to do it, try to take it down and make it 650 or something. Given your player description, i would rather use that info to extract more postflop than start going nuts with KJo preflop trying to win $200.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if it's a great card for villain to bluff c/r and we're not calling a c/r, why on earth are we betting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who wants to bet the turn here:

1) doesn't understand poker very well,
2) didn't take time to think the situation through,
3) is making some poor assumptions, or
4) some combination of 1, 2, and 3

ML4L
Old 12-26-2005, 02:19 PM

A couple of reasons:

"He has been raising quite a bit preflop, and has raised 4 times in a row or so when it was folded to him in the sb."

I think this is the most important one. When someone has been running over the table like it seems he has been, they understand that their fold equity is drastically reduced. He could very conceivably think you are betting AK or AQ in this spot and not folding to any C/R. As a result, I think you are less likely to be bluff C/R'd in this spot.

The second reason is that if you check, you put yourself in a gross situation on the river.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:30 PM

oh snap.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh snap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just tellin' it like it is. Note that I left myself a little bit of wiggle room in case Ray comes in and explains why betting the turn is correct... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]