Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-21-2005, 09:40 AM

Default a typical \'i suck, please look at my stats\' post

Hi. I have broken even at 5/10 limit over my last 25k hands. i figured i should write a brief post on my pt #'s, etc and see if anyone would be kind enough to offer some advice.

My #'s overall are about 17/9/2.9ish over a substantial sample. upon reviewing my #'s for warning signs of any possible leaks, I noticed several that differed outside of 'call me ishmael''s recommended norms:

1) blind stealing - this stat was, i believe, 2 % points outside of ish's range (cant recall the exact #) - perhaps i have a tendency to steal too often, and should focus steal attempts primarily around tighter blinds

2) went to showdown %: i believe ish's recommended range was 32-36. i am at 28%! perhaps i may not go to showdown often enough. but if this is true, i have no idea what types of situations i generally need to show down more. are there any good poker tracker threads that might help in this regard? perhaps i simply need to post more hands, etc.

3) as for my 2.9 af, i have worried recently that perhaps this is a bit high. but sometimes i notice the af of other seemingly good players to be in the stratosphere (like 5ish) over many hands- perhaps they simply are not that good?

4) more specifically, my flop af is an appalling 3.4, if i remember correctly. is this way too high? i do often attempt to steal on the flop (almost always betting missed ak's, etc, betting high wired pairs even when overs flop, etc- this is a tough spot for me, especially upon reading much contrasting opinion in this site, thfap, etc- perhaps i should default much more often to a simple check/fold whenever overs hit?

5) river af though, was only 1.8. is this too low? perhaps i am too passive on the river, and this is could explain my low showdown %?

alas, i am so confused. i feel i generally play fairly well, etc, and do not make many huge errors. but if i break even for another 25k hands, i may have to quit and focus solely on my legal studies, thus abruptly ending the dream...

i think i will start posting hands, studying, etc to try to come up with plans for improving. i play 5/10 primarily (perhaps i should drop down during this spell), so if anyone has any specific advice that would tailor to that level (when considering my above #'s), i would be glad to hear. also if anyone would like to look at some hand history, etc (id be happy to do the same).

thanks
Old 12-21-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Re: a typical \'i suck, please look at my stats\' post

6max or full ring?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:43 PM

gosh im a duma*s!! full
Old 12-21-2005, 02:25 PM

With an aggression factor of 2.9, 28% WTSD isn't insanely low. Your betting/raising allows you to gain more information and fold profitably more often when your opponent is coming back over the top.

That being said, the 2.9 AF may be causing you to play too predictably (betting the flop 100% of the time when you miss, setting you up for more check-raises etc.). Try mixing up your play a little bit. Value bet more, bluff less, avoid raising flush draws everytime when you're HU, same with made hands when the flop texture is ragged. Value raise the river more too.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:20 PM

cool thanks. i agree that i often play too mechanically. blackjack was the first game i learned. in bj, it's good to play like a perfect robot. but not poker. i think i have let my poker reading cause me to become too mechanical (i.e. religiously following certain sections of thfap, etc). that cant be optimum
Old 12-21-2005, 10:45 PM

what are the recommended %'s you were going by?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:38 PM

'call me ishmael's post
Old 12-21-2005, 11:45 PM

Your too tight, too aggro, and arent going to show down enough.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
'call me ishmael's post

[/ QUOTE ]

link?
Old 12-22-2005, 06:09 AM

too tight vpip and pf wise? i thought those #'s were okay. no?