Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Protected Pot Bluff

something that is not a pair and he capped.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i am positive that this is a preflop fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not 4 handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet guys. go ahead and play <font color="red"> dominated </font> hands in huge pots out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL
Old 12-21-2005, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bump because I still can't believe this worked.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Good laydown. Josh is capping out of the SB into 2 early players, then c/ring the turn after you bet and the LAG calls. Given his line, it's reasonable to think he whiffed on the flop c/r and decided to try for it again on the turn. Don't beat yourself too hard. HE showed you his hand for a reason--he made a play on you and it worked. Move on. It happens.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG is DeathDonkey
Button is a solid LAGTAG

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, Button checks.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

on one hand, he shouldn't expect me to try to checkraise twice with a big hand, but on the other, he still has a good player behind him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good move, given the postflop action; it's hard to convince oneself that any of them hit that board given their actions postflop. I think this move works because of 4 things:

Your position in the SB preflop
The board
The action
The opponents
Old 12-21-2005, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG is DeathDonkey
Button is a solid LAGTAG

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, Button checks.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

on one hand, he shouldn't expect me to try to checkraise twice with a big hand, but on the other, he still has a good player behind him.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've played up to 30/60 and after 13 years of playing, I've seen the turn go bet, call, raise, fold, fold maybe 4 times in my life...regardless of the action leading up to it.

In this thread, there is some serious FPS and 6th level thinking going on. BTW, when playing online, any thinking above the 3rd level will cloud your judgement and cause you to "out-think" yourself very often.

Some of the replies that I'd like to address:

(To DeathDonkey)
[ QUOTE ]
WHY O WHY DID U FOLD TURN?? EZE EZ EZ EZ E Z THREEBET

[/ QUOTE ]
That's just insane. We know a 3-bet will drive out the caller unless he's got 88, 77 or 55. But what about Josh? Check raising a bettor and a caller on the turn is a bluff like never % of the time. I can't belive Josh even attempted this bluff and I'm 1000X more surprised that it worked.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i am positive that this is a preflop fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not 4 handed.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with Victor here. You'd have to arrange the cards (in their ranges) pretty nicely in your favor for this preflop cap to be good.

[ QUOTE ]
After the flop is checked through I'd also bet the turn. I see no evidence at all that your hand isn't best.

[/ QUOTE ]
Part of the evidence is 3 players in for a preflop cap. I know that doesn't mean much 4 handed, but I agree with you when you say that Josh should play like he has the best hand once he decides to cap preflop. I do not, however, agree with a cap. Also, FWIW, a betless flop is even more fishy than ones that have bets. Just because fastplaying is correct in a larger sized pot doesn't mean people don't still slowplay.

As a side note......

Unless the 4th player in this game is a complete mope, why are you guys playing? This game looks really bad and this hand is an example of how you will have to throw many bets into a pot in order to protect a miniscule (if any) EV edge. That may be necessary in 150/300, but NOT in 30/60.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:39 AM

our house, it seems you havent played 30/60 4handed online.
if u have, u lost.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
our house, it seems you havent played 30/60 4handed online.
if u have, u lost.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would I play 4 handed 30/60 with Josh, DeathDonkey and some LAGTAG? My testosterone level isn't high enough for that. There are a zillion better places for me to make more money with less variance.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:08 AM

ive played in FAAARRR worse games (for higher stakes too), but then again im an idiot...
my game selection is absolutely awful at times.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ive played in FAAARRR worse games (for higher stakes too), but then again im an idiot...
my game selection is absolutely awful at times.

[/ QUOTE ]
At higher limits (100/200+) there's no choice most of the time. But, that's ok. The dollar amount of the game doesn't require your winrate to be that high in order to have a pretty significant earn.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:45 AM

please explain what is incorrect about his thinking, as i've had trouble adjusting mine from 10/20 20/40 to 30/60