Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-19-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: ($22): Attempting to own the bubble, worth it at 22s?

[ QUOTE ]
If I am button here I am calling with a huge range. I have zero FE anyway so will need to win a showdown. Why not use bigstacks FE and try to triple up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually quite wrong. As the button here you would have to be a 49% favourite over the BB's range to call.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:48 PM

Yes. By huge, I don't mean any two. People advocated pushing any two here in heros position here, and if I was up against that sort of hero and I was button the range I can call with to be 49% is pretty huge.

It's not like I can wait for bigger EV+ later. It's quite likely that any play made by me from here on in will be EV-. If I knew the middle stacks were the kind of people who calls bigstack pushes with A7 here, this obviously changes things.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
even in a $22 you must push this, your hand is too strong and its the bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]
what level do you say this becomes -EV? what if heros hand was weaker?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he is saying it becomes more +EV at the higher levels because you are less likely to have some dipwad in the BB calling with A7o.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah thats what i figured, but was thinking that maybe in higher levels the players could see right through that play and call w/ a semi-wide range. which prob still be a bad play. If you are in SB or BB and are playing to win what range do you call w/?
Old 12-19-2005, 09:51 PM

Very little. Playing to win does not mean sacrificing a boatload of equity here to the short stack and other blind on the table. That's just retarded.

Also as I've previously commented, please note it doesn't even matter that he called with A7o - if that is typical of his calling range you STILL profit from this push.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Comments and Results

[ QUOTE ]
BB made an absolutely terrible call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-19-2005, 11:56 PM

Once the micro-stack on the button calls, can't one of the blinds call more freely (since when the button and blind both get busted, the blind still takes 3rd)?
Old 12-20-2005, 12:19 AM

Yes they can. But often won't.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I am button here I am calling with a huge range. I have zero FE anyway so will need to win a showdown. Why not use bigstacks FE and try to triple up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually quite wrong. As the button here you would have to be a 49% favourite over the BB's range to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that 49% mean that it'd be +$EV?

I think it's too late to hope for positive expectation if you fold this.

With the dead chips and UTG's FE I'm calling any two just hoping my cards are live.

Edit:

Don't have SNGPT at work, but now I'd be interested to see what kind of hand you should push UTG for better EV if you and the blinds fold this hand and the big stack calls your push with any two?
Old 12-20-2005, 06:14 AM

Shove any 2. This spot is an absoulte winfall for you. Okay maybe shove somewhat less due to the overcall effect. Overcalling on the bubble is risky business though as you need a very strong hand to make it +EV. If it goes push-call, he will still be in a tough spot with something like 66. Maybe shove top 90% or something.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:32 AM

I'd push any two here.

There are situations where I'll fold bad hands, even though they might be marginally +EV, when 1) I've been pushing a lot lately. Showing them I fold *some* hands gives me more credibility. 2) Their calling ranges are getting too wide and 3) If they call my all-in and I show 82o, I've lost almost all FE. (Yes, bad players will call you with bad hands if they see you push with even worse hands...)

So I guess I give up some marginally +EV spots to keep some FE intact.