Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-18-2005, 08:33 PM

Default A true real life hand

So if you read my other thread you know im sucking and 'taking a shot' at 1/2 now, since i hate poker. This hand was interesting. Absolute 1/2 6 max about 7 hands in to my single table session I want to post.

One call, I raise AJs BB and limper call. So 3 to the flop, I'm in position. Flop comes 789, rainbow (one of my suit). Usually I autobet this but here I figured I was in trouble...and I checked it behind. Was this awful? Turn is an A of spades (now 2 spades) and BB leads and the other guy calls...I thought about raising but just called. A7-A9 are possible, so is 78,70 and 89. And the straight. I think I should have raised to charge draws and fold to a 3bet. But I just call. River is a 9 of spades both players take their time before checking to me...and I check. Again, I think this was awful. Basically every street was debatable and every street I took the road wuss traveled, since I suck.

Thoughts?
Old 12-18-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Re: A true real life hand

Bet flop, raise turn, bet river.

Don't play scared poker, they COULD have A-x, T-x, 9-x, 8-x, 7-x and loads of other [censored].

Need to get aggressive and not play scared poker, even though its hard. you have ten outs on that flop and a tonne of fold equity.

True
Old 12-18-2005, 08:44 PM

take a break. when you start up again, go to party where the players are easier and this will help your confidence.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:46 PM

I'd bet the flop. If I was OOP, I might check this, but your hand isn't that bad and they checked to you so bet. The turn is debatable against unknowns. It would suck to fold the best hand to some moron 3-beting T9 here, but there are tons of draws. It's a crappy spot. The river is the easiest part of this hand. Bet it. I wouldn't put to much effort into thinking about things like "both players take their time before checking." That could mean anything. I doubt you're getting c/r here very often. If you are, you're hand is almost certainly no good getting 7.5-1.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet the flop. If I was OOP, I might check this, but your hand isn't that bad and they checked to you so bet. The turn is debatable against unknowns. It would suck to fold the best hand to some moron 3-beting T9 here, but there are tons of draws. It's a crappy spot. The river is the easiest part of this hand. Bet it. I wouldn't put to much effort into thinking about things like "both players take their time before checking." That could mean anything. I doubt you're getting c/r here very often. If you are, you're hand is almost certainly no good getting 7.5-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

very good post, I dunno what I would do if I was in Irish's mindframe and some guy c/red 78 against me on the river. How often are we good here if rivered is c/red? Like 0%?
Old 12-18-2005, 08:59 PM

not betting the flop is not as bad as not raising the turn. You have top pair and a good kicker and they have not shown much agression, i would definetly raise here, as well as bet the river.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How often are we good here if rivered is c/red? Like 0%?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not 0 because I've seen people do this with nothing, but damn close. Very few 1/2 players would even think of c/r the river with a hand. A very small fraction of that would pull this as a bluff. The reason for this is pretty simple. The play doesn't make intuitive sense (if you want someone to fold you bet not go for the c/r after leading the previous street) and it rarely if ever works.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:15 PM

Yeah, I'd bet the flop. You may be good, and it'll often get you a free card on the turn when both players call. A turn raise is pretty debatable, but if you get 3-bet you CANNOT fold it. While you probably aren't ahead, you definitely could have many 'hidden' outs, not to mention you have a gutshot. FWIW, I just call the turn because I hate getting 3-bet but I could see an argument for a raise.
And yeah, I'm with leader in betting that river.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:07 AM

dude. time off is needed when the weak-tighty infection kicks in.

We need AggroHUSHposter to do therapy sessions.