Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How much do you think the U.S. is currently spending?
>14% 0 0%
14 0 0%
12 1 4.35%
10 1 4.35%
8 0 0%
6 0 0%
5 1 4.35%
4 0 0%
3 1 4.35%
2 4 17.39%
1 2 8.70%
<1% 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2005, 01:34 AM

Default Re: take home exam situation

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
63% of you suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was really surprised by this. Really surprised at the number.

Personally, I would just not want to know that I cheated. I mean, even if the prof. didn't, I would.

Also, if there is one thing I have learned, its that grades mean jack [censored] when it comes to what you really learned. Of course, the world doesn't work that way, so I guess in the end, I'm not that surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to rush on something just because some self-important academic [censored] says I should. If I have 24 hours to get the thing turned back in, I'm going to do it at my own pace, and almost certainly wouldn't do the whole thing straight through with no breaks.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:40 AM

Anyone who cheats here should be thrown out of school. Especially if you're in a fcuking graduate programm for christ sakes. You're supposed to be studying something you love and motivated to learn.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to rush on something just because some self-important academic [censored] says I should. If I have 24 hours to get the thing turned back in, I'm going to do it at my own pace . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason you have to turn it in at all is because some self-important academic [censored] told you so. Why bother handing it in at all? I enjoy how self-righteous you seem to be about this. It's the man that's rushing you and preventing you from learning; when, of course, if it really mattered that much to you, you could hand the exam in for credit and then keep working on it on your own.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to rush on something just because some self-important academic [censored] says I should. If I have 24 hours to get the thing turned back in, I'm going to do it at my own pace, and almost certainly wouldn't do the whole thing straight through with no breaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. The Man's trying to keep you down, so [censored] The Man.

The Man also tells you to wear your seatbelt and drive on the right-hand side of the road.

Fight the power. Show him who's boss.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to rush on something just because some self-important academic [censored] says I should. If I have 24 hours to get the thing turned back in, I'm going to do it at my own pace . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason you have to turn it in at all is because some self-important academic [censored] told you so. Why bother handing it in at all? I enjoy how self-righteous you seem to be about this. It's the man that's rushing you and preventing you from learning; when, of course, if it really mattered that much to you, you could hand the exam in for credit and then keep working on it on your own.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is that time limit is stupid, arbitrary, and unenforceable. If you were working, do you think one of your bosses would give you some task to do and say, "Have this on my desk by 3:00 tomorrow, but don't spend anymore than 2 hours working on it"? And no, the reason I have to turn it in at all is not because some professor said so. The reason I have to turn it in is that there are widely-accepted standards of what should be required to get a particular degree. If a professor decided to have no tests or papers or projects or anything else, and just have his lectures and give everybody an 84 at the end of the semester, my guess is that he'd catch a lot of [censored] over it in most fields of study.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:04 AM

Speaking as a former graduate student, academic honesty, especially in a graduate program, is very, very important. You could cheat and probably get away with it, but to quote the professor of a friend of mine, "you will never, ever feel good about it." As time goes by, the grade will be less and less important but the knowledge that you cheated will haunt you. And you can never tell anyone you did.

I honestly cannot imagine any of my former colleagues cheating on an exam like that. Not one of them.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The difference is that time limit is stupid, arbitrary, and unenforceable. If you were working, do you think one of your bosses would give you some task to do and say, "Have this on my desk by 3:00 tomorrow, but don't spend anymore than 2 hours working on it"? And no, the reason I have to turn it in at all is not because some professor said so. The reason I have to turn it in is that there are widely-accepted standards of what should be required to get a particular degree. If a professor decided to have no tests or papers or projects or anything else, and just have his lectures and give everybody an 84 at the end of the semester, my guess is that he'd catch a lot of [censored] over it in most fields of study.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is unfortunate that college has become universally expected when at all possible in the U.S., because it strikes me that people like you don't really belong there.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The results of question 2 (on which I voted no) have more to do with not knowing who you can trust more than anything else IMO. If I had a friend in the class, I'm certain we'd collaborate on the exam, but just approaching someone in the class is really stupid. The 1 grade doesn't matter all that much, and it would really suck to get ratted out/kicked out of school over trying to save a little time or get a slightly better grade.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
These two options have very different chances of getting caught/blackmailed and that makes a big difference.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:07 AM

I voted no, no, and 81-99%.

Be a man!
Do the right thing!
Old 12-12-2005, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. The Man's trying to keep you down, so [censored] The Man.

The Man also tells you to wear your seatbelt and drive on the right-hand side of the road.

Fight the power. Show him who's boss.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, a time limit on a take-home exam is more analogous to a speed limit sign than it is to driving on the right side of the road or wearing a seat belt.