Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 10:39 PM

Default 5/10 QQ hand in SB

Who 3bets flop, and who check-raises turn, and who calls the whole way?
(no read on villian, just sat at table)

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero ?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Re: 5/10 QQ hand in SB

I three-bet the flop and go from there. I neither want to allow a free card by checking the turn nor give villain an easy chance to fold if he's decent by check-raising the turn.

If I'm capped on the flop I probably bet the turn and call down from if raised again.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:15 PM

I generally 3-bet the flop.

Going for a checkraise on the turn would be my second choice.

I think your hand is too good to call the whole way. MP1 probably just has a ten or a pocket pair. A hand like A7s is also possible.

I will admit that calling the whole way versus a worse pocket pair has its advantages if Villain will release that pair versus further aggression. But there are other things Villain could have, and a lot of players are taking a pocket pair to showdown unless the board gets scarier.

In any event, at the point where you have the question mark, I say go ahead and checkraise. (And while thanks to the turn card you'd like 88 and 66 to fold, Villain will see a river with those hands unless you're lucky.)
Old 12-06-2005, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I three-bet the flop and go from there. I neither want to allow a free card by checking the turn nor give villain an easy chance to fold if he's decent by check-raising the turn.

If I'm capped on the flop I probably bet the turn and call down from if raised again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I try not to get too fancy with a good hand OOP. Just play it fast.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who 3bets flop

[/ QUOTE ]
me.

[ QUOTE ]
check-raises turn

[/ QUOTE ]
since you didn't 3-bet the flop I think this is your best option on the turn as you likely still have the best hand and if 3-bet you have a lot of outs against two pair.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:52 AM

3-bet the flop here. You've got an overpair, but you want to charge MP1 for drawing to an A, K, or 2 pair. Regardless of whether he caps the flop or not, continue to be aggressive and bet out on the turn.

However, since you just called the flop, I would have check-raised the turn. You still have an overpair, so get maximum value for it. If MP1 3-bets you, simply call the hand down.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:22 AM

..............raises!!! thats why you called the flop. Waiting for an extra big bet in this case is super . if SB called, i would have 3 bet flop however.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:47 AM

I might 3-bet the flop, but given the drawless board and the the fact that it's heads up, smooth calling with the intention of raising the turn seems better.

Calling the whole way makes little sense, especially without the arrival of an overcard on the board.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:34 AM

I like the call on the flop and check raise the turn. He would likely slowplay a set and is likely to have AT,KT. By just calling his flop bet and checking the turn he may think you have an UI AK and feel good about the turn where you pop him and tie him up.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
smooth calling with the intention of raising the turn seems better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect spot for it.