Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 12-05-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Something that annoys the hell out of me from Norm Chad

OK, on the whole I don't mind Chad as a poker commentator. I think that Sexton calling the action is better because of his overall knowledge of the game, but Chad is aight.

That brings me to my point. Why is it that whenever an unknown or online player (basically any "non-pro" in Chad's eyes) makes a play at a pot and gets called on it, Chad makes comments about how the younger players just love to play aggressive and fast and don't think about stuff like getting called on their bluff.

However, if Cloutier, Ivey, etc. do the exact same thing, it's a fantastic play from a great player. I say this because I believe that Chad is akin to most NFL announcers who suck off Mike Vick and Brett Favre, no matter what they do. Ever.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Something that annoys the hell out of me from Norm Chad

People love type casting, it makes things easier to understand, easier to follow, etc.

The masses want villains and heros, super skilled pros and lucky idiots, etc.

The media (and announcers) simply play up these roles.

It's exactly like a "reality" TV show like the Real World or Survivor, etc.

They pretty much decide what the persons "character" to be and then edit the show in such a way that you are that character.

Anytime you pander to the masses that usually means the lowest common denominator and thus you get total crap.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:39 PM

So online poker sites make it look like they are full of idiots that anyone can beat...
Old 12-05-2005, 06:29 PM

The marketing approach most online sites have taken is something to the affect of

"Play here and you'll get so good you'll win big tournaments like the pros you see on TV"
Old 12-05-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, if Cloutier, Ivey, etc. do the exact same thing, it's a fantastic play from a great player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there promoting a product and a big part of the product is the stars. So, when Ivey does it it is a good play and when someone nobody knows does it, it's a mistake.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:02 PM

Like AceHigh said, ESPN is promoting a product and stars help sell a product. Plus, I dont think it is Norman Chad's job to provide truly insightful strategy on how to play poker. He is a poker announcer purely for color commentary and comic relief and I think he does that very well.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, if Cloutier, Ivey, etc. do the exact same thing, it's a fantastic play from a great player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there promoting a product and a big part of the product is the stars. So, when Ivey does it it is a good play and when someone nobody knows does it, it's a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to defend the commentators but when Ivey tries a bluff it's much more likely to be the right situation than when an unknown internet player tries a bluff. This seems self-evident when you figure that it's pretty likely that Ivey is a better player than unknown internet player.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that Chad is akin to most NFL announcers who suck off Mike Vick and Brett Favre, no matter what they do. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care what you say about Vick, because he's never done anything.

But eeeeaaaassssy on Favre, man.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care what you say about Ron Mexico, because he's never done anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-06-2005, 02:23 AM

Norman Chad is way too obnoxious for me, after listening to him talk for awhile it makes me want to change the channel instead of listen to his bs. I'd rather listen to Sexton and VVP anyday. At least one of them knows how to play the game.