Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Did I make this hand too interesting?

I really struggled with this decision in my .10/.25 Stars NL game last night, and was hoping for some input.

Full ring, this is the 2nd orbit I've been at the table. Villian in this hand has played 7 of the 13 hands I've played with him. He minraised preflop once. Flop came down K-7-3, he bet and folded to a reraise.

To the hand in question:

I have $24, villian has $26.

Villian in MP1 minraises. Two calls to me on the button with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I reraise to $1.75. Only the villian calls.

Flop ($4.85): J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villian leads with $1. I raise to $4. He calls.

Turn ($12.85): 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian checks. At this point in time I don't really know what he has. I get this feeling that he has AK, but also fear he's slowing down with a Jack. I don't know what types of hands he minraises with PF as he folded the only other time he did it. He could be on the flush draw here as well. Anyway, I make what I think might be a mistake and check behind, happy with the size of the pot, hoping for a cheap showdown.

River: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

This river looks damn good to me, as his AK looks a lot better to him if he holds it. Villian leads for $13. How do you read this overbet and what is your move?

Thanks, and I hope this is an interesting hand. Please let me know if this is a standard call or fold.

Brad
Old 12-05-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Did I make this hand too interesting?

I am folding this river. He is giving such poor odds here, that I don't think a call is profitable. However, I am probably betting this turn. The board is so draw-heavy here that I think a bet would be correct and profitable.

Dumle
Old 12-05-2005, 12:34 PM

Bet the turn. As played, I am really inclined to pay him off on the river.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:41 PM

Villain doesn't have a jack, so a 9 or over pair is all you have to be concerned with. I think betting the turn is the way to go here. It gets you a free showdown many times. As played, I will call in this situation hoping to pick off an Ace. If I had a 9, I would make more of a value bet, so I think hero calls this. This all comes down to reads because I do not have a standard play for this situation.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:46 PM

bet turn

as played, I probably fold
Old 12-05-2005, 12:52 PM

I'm trying to put villain on a hand here....honestly the only thing you are beating is a smaller pocket pair, but due to his minraise i'm thinking that's likely. I don't play stars, but on party lots of people love to minraise pockets...that could be what he has, and your turn check makes him think you don't have anything either. For that reason alone I probably look him up here....you induced the bluff with the turn check, now you gotta call.

BTW - Bet the turn....that probably eliminates this tough river decision.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:20 PM

By putting in about a half-pot sized bet on the turn you could have saved yourself alot of grief. He may have folded, and if he raised, you could have folded.
As for what to do now? I would fold, he may not have you beat, but I wouldn't risk it here. His large river bet may not be an attempt to scare you off, it could be a value bet. I've seen many players at these low levels call with weak hands. Just remember how the hand was played, and use it to set him up later.

Enjoy Life!
Old 12-05-2005, 01:25 PM

does anyone else want to see a bigger reraise here with a decent hand in position?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does anyone else want to see a bigger reraise here with a decent hand in position?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean on the flop? He could have made it $5 or $6, but I don't think it makes that much of a difference.

Edit: Oh you mean preflop. Yeh You could have made it a little more preflop ($2.50-$3.00), but I am not a big fan of reraising 10's full ring anyways.