Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-04-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Re: A Smart Christian

[ QUOTE ]
Question: If God is omnipresent, then God IS Jesus. If not, Christ is the son of God (?), so is part of God (?). Therefore, "God" is saving us from His own just punishment?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will take a stab at answering this question: This "saving" was for us, not Him. (This is, similar to Texas No Limit Hold'em, much harder to understand than it seems.) We NEEDED it...in many, many ways, me more than most. Have a nice day! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why send JC down to put into effect a fundemental change of religious dogma? What could possible cause an omnipotent holy God to do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

JC was sent because man was incapable of atoning for the offense committed against the infinite being that is God.

Stu
Old 12-04-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tom Collins -
<font color="white"> .
</font>

There are no nominations for the Nobel Prize. Nice try.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that sounded kind of funny. This is from the article. Looks like Somebody's off.

"Dr. "Fritz" Schaefer is the Graham Perdue Professor of Chemistry and the director of the Center for Computational Quantum Chemistry at the University of Georgia. He has been nominated for the Nobel Prize and was recently cited as the third most quoted chemist in the world. "The significance and joy in my science comes in the occasional moments of discovering something new and saying to myself, 'So that's how God did it!' My goal is to understand a little corner of God's plan." --U.S. News &amp; World Report, Dec. 23, 1991. "

PairTheBoard
Old 12-04-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tom Collins -
<font color="white"> .
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that sounded kind of funny. This is from the article. Looks like Somebody's off.

"Dr. "Fritz" Schaefer is the Graham Perdue Professor of Chemistry and the director of the Center for Computational Quantum Chemistry at the University of Georgia. He has been nominated for the Nobel Prize and was recently cited as the third most quoted chemist in the world. "The significance and joy in my science comes in the occasional moments of discovering something new and saying to myself, 'So that's how God did it!' My goal is to understand a little corner of God's plan." --U.S. News &amp; World Report, Dec. 23, 1991. "

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically there are no nominations. But ANYONE can write a letter to the committee and call it a nomination. This happened with the Doctor that claimed Terri Schiavo wasn't braindead. Some Congressman "nominated" him for the Nobel Prize in Medicine, and Sean Hannity/etc... ate it up and always introduced him as a Nobel Prize Nominated. I might write a letter and nominate Sklansky, and he'll have the same credibility.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't going to comment on it because it's not directly relevant to the quality of his other argument, but when I 1st went to the site and saw the Nobel reference was not something he claimed directly but set inside a quoted article it was a very bad sign. Rather than just having it mentioned in a lead in with other 'credentials' doing it by external quote allows a person deniability. If challenged you can always respond, "Well, 'I' didn't say I was nominated" Dr Schaefer would know both that you aren't nominated and that's it's a meaningless psuedo-designation because of how the process is done. But it's only negative in the sense of not being 'upfront', and an argument in a different area needs to be evaluated on it's own merits.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tom Collins -
<font color="white"> .
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically there are no nominations. But ANYONE can write a letter to the committee and call it a nomination. This happened with the Doctor that claimed Terri Schiavo wasn't braindead. Some Congressman "nominated" him for the Nobel Prize in Medicine, and Sean Hannity/etc... ate it up and always introduced him as a Nobel Prize Nominated. I might write a letter and nominate Sklansky, and he'll have the same credibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

There actually is an official nomination process, with qualified nominators. usually about 100 - 250 people are nominated for each prize.

http://www.britannica.com/nobel/art/onobelp011a4.gif

http://nobelprize.org/chemistry/nomi...ominators.html
[ QUOTE ]

The Nominators – Chemistry

Right to submit proposals for the award of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry, based on the principle of competence and universality, shall by statute be enjoyed by:

1. Swedish and foreign members of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences;
2. Members of the Nobel Committees for Chemistry;
3. Nobel Laureates in Chemistry;
4. Permanent and assistant professors in the sciences of Chemistry at the universities and institutes of technology of Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland and Norway, and Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm;
5. Holders of corresponding chairs in at least six universities or university colleges selected by the Academy of Sciences with a view to ensuring the appropriate distribution over the different countries and their seats of learning; and
6. Other scientists from whom the Academy may see fit to invite proposals.

Decisions as to the selection of the teachers and scientists referred to in paragraphs 5 and 6 above shall be taken each year before the end of the month of September.

Prize-Awarder: The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Stockholm
Old 12-05-2005, 04:26 AM

http://uspolitics.about.com/b/a/155906.htm

This about.com website discredits the claim that the Schaivo Doctor was nominated at all but also makes the case that its not ok for anyone to claim they were nominated
Old 12-05-2005, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://uspolitics.about.com/b/a/155906.htm

This about.com website discredits the claim that the Schaivo Doctor was nominated at all but also makes the case that its not ok for anyone to claim they were nominated

[/ QUOTE ]

From the Link:
"According to the Statutes of the Nobel Foundation, information about the nominations is not to be disclosed, publicly or privately, for a period of fifty years. The restriction not only concerns the nominees and nominators, but also investigations and opinions in the awarding of a prize. Nomination information older than fifty years is public.
So, if he had been truly nominated -- he would be violating fundamental Nobel Foundation principles to say that. "

If that's how it is then it looks fishy in the article I linked to, to see Dr. "Fritz" Schaefer reported as having been nominated. I don't recall seeing claims of being "nominated" for the Nobel prize before.

I thought Schaefer might be Super Smart to have been nominated. Maybe not Super Duper Smart since he didn't win it, but still pretty darn smart. However, if claiming to have been nominated is automatically bogus I would have to demote him from Super Smart to something less than just plain smart.

PairTheBoard
Old 12-05-2005, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the clarifying information, TQuick. The secrecy part now makes sense of why there's the notion that there is not a normal nomination process, it's not something that gets any press like other nomination procedures. It also clears up why that strange 'quoted' claim to it is how it's presented on Dr Schaeffer's ID website. If it's ethically verboten to reveal it, then deniability is important. Oh, well, in 40ish years I guess we'll know the truth ( nominations are made public after 50). Oh, and The PrankoTimes says it's rumored that I've been nominated for a Nobel, again...sigh

ah, I can sleep now, cause and effect are back at work.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:55 AM

talk about your all time backfires... whoops