Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-24-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Re: When do we Flush Math down the Toilet?

[ QUOTE ]
go back to square one. you have no idea what you are doing.

[/ QUOTE ]
good post.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:17 AM

I think you have your situations backwards. I would call in your WSOP example and fold your real life hand. Assuming your opponent has Aces preflop is ridiculous and playing scared is synonymous with horrible play. In your real life example he either has the nuts or nothing. I'd probably put him on the nuts and fold.

Mathematically speaking there are a ton more hand combinations that contain a queen than there are with two aces in them. Go re-read some of your foundation books as you don't seem to have a good grasp on the math needed for poker.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:36 PM

you also have no idea what you are doing.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:10 PM

that was a very intuitive remark
Old 11-24-2005, 04:22 PM

I have a pretty firm understanding of math. Perhaps I did not present my opening post articulately. But this is what I'm having trouble with.

In my AA example, after he pushes, my range of hands that
I can put him on goes down. Even if I readjust this new range there are a lot more hands that don't include a Queen than one's that do. So if readjust ranges, still based on pot odds, I would be mathematically correct to call. When, in the absense of any tells, do I disregard the math and just go with my gut intuition which tells me that the only hand that he would do this with has a Queen?

Bruce
Old 11-24-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do I disregard the math and just go with my gut intuition which tells me that the only hand that he would do this with has a Queen?

[/ QUOTE ]NO.

Use your gut intuition to narrow his range to hands that only include a queen, then do the math from there. You never do math until you narrow his hand range as far as you possibly can with all the information you have.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a pretty firm understanding of math. Perhaps I did not present my opening post articulately. But this is what I'm having trouble with.

In my AA example, after he pushes, my range of hands that
I can put him on goes down. Even if I readjust this new range there are a lot more hands that don't include a Queen than one's that do. So if readjust ranges, still based on pot odds, I would be mathematically correct to call. When, in the absense of any tells, do I disregard the math and just go with my gut intuition which tells me that the only hand that he would do this with has a Queen?

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

You're making the same mistake again. Your gut says he'll only do this with a queen. So then his range of hands that you should give him is heavily weighted towards hands with a queen. Just because you might push with a flush draw there doesn't mean he will. The range of hands you give him is based on your intuition. You then use math to determine how you're doing vs. that range and decide what you should do.

Steve