Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Re: An Odd Flop Situation With KTs

[ QUOTE ]

what other hands do you open limp with? this range is pretty important for observant opponents. i basically never open limp unless table conditions are "perfect", but i also dont play much fh so that accounts for basically never. do your tables have to be a certain quality for you to limp KTs utg? if so, and if this qualifies, cool. if not, i'm curious about how open limping has worked out for you. it gets a bad rep on these boards, but i think a case can be made for open limping. also what stakes is this game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually have a very narrow open-limping range that I basically only use in full ring games. (I never open-limp with 8 or fewer players).

It is basically a tiny range of hands that have too much value to fold but play much better in multi-way pots (while have enough value to at least break even or make a small profit if the pot ends up short).

So: KTs, QTs, QJs, JTs, A8s, A9s, 77, sometimes 88 and sometimes 66.

I think it is a very astute observation that against observant opponents such a strategy will not be sound, as it becomes very easy to put me on a hand.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:33 AM

Yeah, it's probably me who's messing up the terminology...

Anyway, my point was that when we don't have the best hand, it is easy for villain to value bet against us due to our position, whereas it will be difficult for Hero to do any value betting of his own. Usually, any future bets collected by Hero will come from villain(s) incorrectly betting the worst hand. Villain(s) are in control of the pot and will determine how many bets go in on the turn/river.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:26 AM

I'm suprised you open limp this many hands. I think I now know why why vpip is so damn low. I didn't thinking playing KTs OOP against a Preflop raiser was profitable.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't disagree with folding, necessarily (still not sure), but if you are a somewhat Laggy BB, you are raising any K you call with preflop and sometimes a PP b/w 6 and K too. Even a decent player will probably call with worse suited kings in the BB in this scenario. Now, whether or not he will have a worse K often enough to combine with the raiser also having a worse hand to make playing on worthwhile is more interesting, but I see no reason that he can't raise K8/K9/88 or something here a lot of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

But when you're facing two bets - realistically - how often is top pair T kicker going to be good?
Old 11-22-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is a very astute observation that against observant opponents such a strategy will not be sound, as it becomes very easy to put me on a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have similar limping hands, and I *always* think that eevryone knows what I have hen I limp. They don't, though.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this the Party 10/20?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was Party 5/10.

[/ QUOTE ]

This feels oddly familiar to a hand I played last night. 'Course maybe that's true for everyone, who knows. Was this on the bad beat tables? Of course, you'd have known it was a 2+2er if you'd played the hand against me, given my stupid screen name on Party (hint: it contains the term "SupBro").

FWIW, I like the coldcall & re-evaluate on the turn. I am calling and c/f the turn if TAG 3-bets the flop and BB just calls. Folding to TAG 3-bet and BB cap.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:16 PM

smoothcalling doesn't mean we're auto-raising the turn