Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-20-2005, 01:35 PM

Default How do you maximize this hand.

Live the usual loose passive $5/$10. I am seen by all as tight and aggressive and have shown down quality 90% of the time. The observant ones will slow down or fold if I start betting. There are a couple who will call with the smallest hope of a hand.

I'm BB with two black 9s. 6 to the flop no raise. Flop is a miracle. 99T. I check and it's checked to button who bets, we all call. The button could have bet due to position or a real hand.

I wonder if I should check the turn then over call if its the button who bets or lead to get more in the pot and raise if the button bets. Maybe lead and call the button bet to get more overcallers. My delema is I get the feeling it may get checked around if I check again.
We now have 6 players and 6BB.
Turn is a Q. Two hearts on the board. Who would call if I bet? Anyone with a T,Q,straight draw, flush draw. Would the Q slow down the button so he won't bet?

Small blind checks I....?
Old 11-20-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: How do you maximize this hand.

I would lead the flop.

People aren't going to put you on quads, and overcard(s), straight draws, and pocket pairs may find reasons to call on this board. Plus, whenever you do wake up, that's going to scare people anyway. And, since you hold most of the good cards, it's possible no one will find a reason to bet.

Anyway, though, on the turn I would bet, hoping my opponents just thought I caught a queen. Maybe Button will even raise (he could have KJ or QT or something).
Old 11-20-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would lead the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
So would I. One good reason for betting out with a monster is that it gives my opponents less information than a power sequence of, say, check-call flop and check-raise turn.

When you normally play the flop aggressively, you shouldn't need to slowplay very much with monsters. Keep your opponents guessing.

You have 5 opponents who probably like to call. Bet out and let them.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you normally play the flop aggressively, you shouldn't need to slowplay very much with monsters. Keep your opponents guessing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would work with most people but my image is scarey now. Im up 40+BB and they know when I'm in I have something. I know leading the flop will certainly scare them especially when I have almost all of the good cards. Only a person with a T or a big PP (not likely in an unraised pot) and possibly a straight draw would call me.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im up 40+BB and they know when I'm in I have something.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, then they have to suspect the board has hit you anyway, whether you bet or check-call. And when you start betting or raising later in the hand, won't they run for the hills?

Also, when you check the flop you would hate to see a bet from late position, because that means you can't check-raise without blowing away the field.

Of course, they might all fold to a flop bet, but generally, I believe it's a risk worth taking in these situations.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This would work with most people but my image is scarey now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its hard to maximize floped quads but if your image is scary then I think you should have raised preflop!

99 have equity even against 5 opponents and definetly so from BB. Mostly everyone would call so you get 11 to 1 on you money, you flop set about 7.5 to 1. If you didnt flop a set but flop wasnt to scary then you could use your image and go for a flop check-raise.

In this situation you would at least have got some money in preflop.

Also if someone have connected with this flop it would be "correct" for them to chase a gutshot since the pot would be big.

So I think you should have raised pre-flop and then bet flop, turn and river.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:22 PM

I don't necessarily disagree with checking the flop, as it is somewhat likely that your opponents have not hit anything here (you are really hoping for a T to make itself known) and on this flop without any indication of future action based on pre-flop bets betting can cause some bad stuff to happen.

In fact, I think one of the values of checking this flop is that it will allow you to play the later streets much better. For example, if you check and it gets bet and raised from an early position, you might be able to set up a monster turn check-raise. Checking also allows you to make an excellent trapping check-raise on the flop if the situation sets up right.

Or, as here, the late position bet allows you to set up a turn bet and hopefully a raise from later position.

So you should bet the turn. Check-calling the flop in my opinion is fine, and is definitely better than a check-raise once the bet comes from late position. Not betting here is actually not a huge mistake in my opinion because you often can get good flop action anyway if someone bets and since there are so few cards your opponents could have allowing then to catch a good turn card is often good. (That would be more in effect if the board were less connected, but it still applies. Notice that this is very different from a situation where, say, the flop was 9TT and you want to bet because you know you'll get monster action from trips).

I once had a discussion with a guy (who later showed up on one of the main event TV tables on this year's World Series) at the Borgata 20/40 who claimed that "all your top limit hold'em pros will tell you the only way to play quads is to check and call all the way to the river." I told him he was full of [censored].

About an hour later I flopped quad 55s on a hand he had raised pre-flop and check-raised the flop...