Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 01:23 PM

Default I am a chip-spewing donkey (NC)

I just need to humiliate myself so I never do these things again. These hands are from the Stars $3 Rebuy Satellite. In the first two cases I have a top-ten stack, with 100-150 players left. 22 get seats.

Hand one:

Hero is in the CO with 88. Folded to Hero, who raises 3BB. SB and BB call. Flop: 764r. SB pushes for 20BB. Hero thinks, "He's got 99 or TT," and calls anyway. 99. No help. Yeah, he could be on A7s, or some kind of draw, but it was still a mistake, and I lose half my stack.

Hand two:

Hero is in BB with 43o. UTG limps, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: Q43r (Cool!)

SB checks, Hero bets 2/3 pot. UTG folds, SB calls.

Turn: 2

SB checks, Hero bets 2/3 pot again, SB pushes, Hero without pausing to think calls. A5 for the wheel. (Yes, he's a donkey calling with a gutshot, but I'm the bigger donkey for calling when it seems pretty clear my two pair are no good anymore.)

Hand three:

Hero has AKs in CO. UTG raises 3BB, folded to Hero who raises the pot. Villain calls. Flop: JTx, villain checks, Hero c-bets 1/2 the pot, villain pushes. Hero thinks (using the term loosely) and calls.

Villain: ATo (Raising UTG with ATo, and then calling a re-raise? Yeah, he sucks, but I'm far worse.)

Happily, I turned a King. But what the hell was I doing? I am almost never ahead here, and may well be drawing pretty close to dead.

Sam

P.S. In none of these cases was I getting remotely correct pot odds to call.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: I am a chip-spewing donkey (NC)

2nd hand wasn't too bad, I'd have hard time laying down bottom 2pair there.. rest are chip spewing donkey moves.. speaking of, I need to stop doing that too, I've made some horrible plays today.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:45 PM

hand 1: i'd probably call

hand 2: how much was the push for? it'd have to be for a lot before i folded.

hand 3: [ QUOTE ]
Happily, I turned a King. But what the hell was I doing? I am almost never ahead here, and may well be drawing pretty close to dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

come on, you always have at least 4 outs. i'd treat this as a 7 outer and call/fold accordingly.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:00 PM

I guess part of my frustration with myself was that this was a sat, I had a very comfortable stack here, could probably have tightened up and gotten a seat. In a money tournament it makes sense to take risks to build a huge stack, but when you get to a certian point in the sats, 200k is pretty much the same as 100k.

So yes, they were reasonable calls in some circumstances, but not these. Or, I've started thinking too much about survival in the sats.

P.S. Thanks for the suggestion about PAHUD. It's brilliant.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:02 PM

I think your hand one is fine. He could be on Ax trying to push you off, a pair of 7s or 6s or even a 5 for the straight draw. I believe you are ahead here more often than not.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess part of my frustration with myself was that this was a sat, I had a very comfortable stack here, could probably have tightened up and gotten a seat. In a money tournament it makes sense to take risks to build a huge stack, but when you get to a certian point in the sats, 200k is pretty much the same as 100k.

So yes, they were reasonable calls in some circumstances, but not these. Or, I've started thinking too much about survival in the sats.

P.S. Thanks for the suggestion about PAHUD. It's brilliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that may be true. i hate flat payout tourneys. and yeah, PAHUD is sweet.