Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Multiple decision points with AJs

Okay, assuming I don't fold, how do you react if

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG (t18225)
UTG+1 (t24550)
MP1 (t2475)
MP2 (t35342)
MP3 (t2193)
CO (t40261)
Hero (t22775)
SB (t13999)
BB (t24781)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J, A.
2 folds, MP1 calls t200, 1 fold, MP3 raises to t2193, 1 fold,

Possibility one:
Hero raises to t5000, SB pushes, MP2 calls...there is now t27k in the pot, and ~8k to Hero. Seems like it's pretty close, but I'd lean towards a fold. SB is not doing this with TT, and I'm drawing to three outs in most other cases.

Possibility Two:
Hero calls, SB pushes, and MP1 calls. Now it's t12k to hero, with 18k in the pot, or 1.5:1. Another fold, I assume?

Then what really happened:
Hero called, SB pushed, BB pushed, MP2 called. t41k in the pot, t20 to call. Hero auto-mucks. Hands in white below:

<font color="white">SB had QQ, BB had AJ(hunh?). Not that it matters, but the flop came all hearts. </font>
Old 11-03-2005, 03:35 PM

yea i think they're both folds.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont like this because i think if the blinds were going to get involved at 2k, they'll probably still get invovled for 5k, and i don't really want them in this, and if they come in, i want to be in for the minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point, but I don't want to invite them in with really good pot odds and fantastic implied odds.

If I raise I have a much better idea of what they are holding than if I flat call.

I flat call here with AA to invite some overcalls, but not with AJs, I want them to define their hand as early as possible if they want to play.

edit: and I really, really, really only want to play against the PF pusher here with this hand

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-03-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like Folding &gt; Calling &gt; Raising &gt; Pushing

I fold here because you MIGHT have the best hand, but you won't know, even after the flop, unless it comes AJx or 3 of your suit. Because those 2 scenarios are going to be rare, you're going to have another tough decision after the flop. What if the flop comes 6 2 A? Do you feel confident enough in your kicker after a preflop raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Raising or Folding. Calling or pushing aren't even close.

Why:

1. Short stack is probably pushing a worse hand than you

2. Other opponents know this and will probably call with most hands they limped with

3. A raise shows strength and says "back off, I have a good hand"

4. Instead of calling a raise from a weak hand, you are making opponents call a raise + reraise from a strong hand

5. If you isolate short stack, then you might win his stack + dead money in pot with ace high if neither pairs.

6. If you call here, you are playing a huge pot with the possibility that someone else flops a king or queen and wins it.

7. If you push there is always the possibility that BB has JJ, QQ, KK, AA, AQ, or AK, and will instantly call.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i dont like this because i think if the blinds were going to get involved at 2k, they'll probably still get invovled for 5k, and i don't really want them in this, and if they come in, i want to be in for the minimum.

but, maybe i'm being a pussy.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't think they would view a reraise from a deep stacked player, as much stronger than an all-in from a short stack? I know I would.