Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 09:26 AM

Default Re: A Hand That Made Me Happy and Sad and Maybe Happy Again...

I think you gave up way too quickly.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:35 AM

One thing that makes opp's turn three bet less scary is villain will have a harder time putting you on a set with no Broadway cards out. It looks like you have a big Ace, so the chance he has AK are higher. Anyway I agree you could put in 1-2 more on the later two streets.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

With what I've seen of this opponent, he's somewhere in the sane-passive-reasonable area.

I think that on the 6th BB we are absolute toast, personally. If we cap the turn, lead the river, and get raised, are we ever winning?

[/ QUOTE ]

No - I think you played it well. Some people are aggressive enough to 3-bet this turn C/R with AK, lots of people including me aren't. If you had a read that he was in the latter category, I say good for you.
I would think the 3-betting standards in these HU 10/20 duels are a little more liberal though, but I dunno...
Old 11-01-2005, 02:57 PM

Yeah this hand sucked. Thanks for the advice. I think I've realized a couple things:

1. As for play on the flop and the turn, I think there are a variety of different possible routes to take, including: check-call flop, donk turn; bet flop, bet turn; and check-raise flop, check-turn. Bet flop, screwplay turn is really not one of them. I allow the turn to get checked through, and possibly give villain an easy chance to fold. I don't really like a flop check-raise here (or a check-raise anywhere, really) because I think a tightish villain will often find easy folds with KK and QQ if I check-raise. I think my preferred line is probably check-call flop, donk turn.

2. The best number of bets to go to on the turn and the river is 5. I really think 6 BB is too much, because any scenario that gets to that number (I cap flop, bet river and get raised; I call turn three-bet, check-raise river and get three-bet) indicate I'm up against AA a large majority of the time.

With this in mind, I think I should have called the turn three-bet and donked the river, calling a raise. That assures 4-5 BB go in on the last two streets, and doesn't risk letting only 3 go in or letting 6 go in.

Thanks for the comments.

Not that it's significant but villain tabled AA.