Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Getting the most out of a deep stack (LC)

I wanted to start a discussion about deep stacks. I don't think I'm utilizing it when I get one. At least it doesn't feel like it. I haven't been playing NL seriously for very long, and I know it feels and looks good to have 3 or 4 buy ins sitting in front of you, but I think I could be using it better.
So, what do you feel is your biggest advantage to having a deep stack. Intimidation? Do you play a little looser and see flops you wouldn't call with just one buy in? Do you overbet more? Do you push more?
Right now I'm kind of feeling out the $50NL tables, and it seems that at these lower levels, nobody really pays your stack much attention. Does this change in the higher levels?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Getting the most out of a deep stack (LC)

Anyone?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:15 PM

Fimbulwinter had an EXCELLENT post about deep stacks awhile back. Search for it.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:21 PM

Honestly, I usually just leave the table when I have a big stack and then sit down again or find another one. I don't the idea of losing several stacks if I make a mistake. The only exception is if there's a fish that I want to cover.

Edit: That didn't really answer your question, so I'll fix that. Deep stacks really only offer one advantage over shorter stacks in that you can cover and bust somebody. Smaller stacks are much easier to play, plus you're risking less. Against really deep stacks you want hands that can make the nuts... suited connectors and such go up in value. You need to disguise your hand more and make more sophisticated plays to take away the implied odds from your opponents... for example, start raising SCs on the button or from early position. Soah had a post with some related content that I found very helpful last week, and the previously mentioned post by Fimbulwinter is excellent as well.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:31 PM

A deep stack only matters if other people have them, too. If you have $1K and everybody else has $50, your effective stack size is only $50. Loosening up because you have 300BB is poor if nobody else has over 100BB. If you have a deep stack and the only other person at the table with a deep stack is better than you, you should certainly leave. You want to cover the people you are better than and be covered by those better than you as it allows you to maximize wins against the poor players and minimize losses to the good ones.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:36 PM

[never mind, the URL thing isn't working. some one else posted the link already anyway]
Old 10-24-2005, 07:36 PM

here web page

fim's post. Excellent post, hope it helps.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:25 PM

Thanks a lot. That's pretty much what I'm looking for.