Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 10-01-2005, 03:40 AM

Default The psychology of protecting wins

I've been playing 5/10 6max for over 6 months now. I've been running very well those 6 months, but I've only played 40k hands. Part of the reason I've only gotten 40k hands in 6 months is that I have a full-time job, a long commute, and 2 small boys, all of which take up alot of time. But another, perhaps more dominant reason, is that I have two self-defeating habits:

1) I'm trepidacious to sit down, because I have lingering self-doubt about my abilites, and I worry about when I will 'hit the big one' and have my glorious pokertracker winrate crushed. Thus, I makes excuses to myself like "Oh, it's too late to start poker, I'm a bit tired, I'll play some online game instead (and stay up 4 more hours doing so)", or during the weekends "Oh, it's too distracting with the kids awake, I'll wait until nighttime", etc.
2) I frequently have sessions where I go on a small tear, win a few dozen BB, and then stop my session short, like after an hour or so. I know logically this is stupid - if you are winning, it's the worst time to quit, because you probably a) are playing well, b) have good table image, c) are at a profitable table. But I let one table breaking up, or a bathroom break, or the munchies, be an excuse to stop.

It would seem the answer would be "Man up. Sit and stay until you hit some goal number of hands.", but I've always had very poor self-discipline in school, in work, etc. Is there any other advice someone can give me to counter this problem? I fele like my growth as a poker player is stunted by my inability to acquire more experience/hands, more confidence, and more bankroll, and I don't want to be stuck at 5/10 forever.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:11 AM

Default Re: The psychology of protecting wins

I kind of have the same problem. I have a very similar situation to yours with the commute, work, and kids, etc.

I think the issue is that we are emotionally affected by session based results. Going to sleep after a winning session feels good to me - better than it should really. Conversely, going to bed after a losing session just feels plain filthy. I have worked very hard on my mindset and seeing that it is all one big session of course, and over time it is getting better.

The hit and run sessions are good for your ego, but not for your bankroll in the long run. If you've ever experienced a long session where you lost a lot, why can't you have a long session where you've won a lot?

BTW - I am trying to break into 3/6, so don't feel so bad about being "stuck at 5/10" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2005, 02:44 PM

Sounds like you have two great habits.

1. You don't play when you're tired

2. You quit when you're ahead.

Read this board and you'll come across some sad, scary stories about people who play too long and become poker zombies, out of touch with the rest of the world. Plus the folks who can't quit when they're behind. So the only way their bad sessions can ever end is by busting out.

Keep your habits. They're serving you well.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you have two great habits.

1. You don't play when you're tired

2. You quit when you're ahead.

Read this board and you'll come across some sad, scary stories about people who play too long and become poker zombies, out of touch with the rest of the world. Plus the folks who can't quit when they're behind. So the only way their bad sessions can ever end is by busting out.

Keep your habits. They're serving you well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quitting ahead is not necessarily good. When you are ahead, you are mostly playing better than when youre down. Therefore, dont quit early b/c you are ahead.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quitting ahead is not necessarily good. When you are ahead, you are mostly playing better than when youre down. Therefore, dont quit early b/c you are ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmn. That depends entirely on the player.

If you're rested, focused and outplaying people consistently after the flop to make your money, then hurray!! Keep going as long as your synapses let you.

But it's also possible to get a nice little jag where big pocket pair show up a couple times (and hold up) . . . where a flush draw comes in . . . where a small pair flops a set. If that's perked up your session and you're tired or the fish suddenly leave the table, that's a very excellent time to call it a night.

I've seen too many talented but erratic players come unglued by staying too long, hoping to squeeze more out of a winning streak. They start playing small pairs too long against too few opponents. They get sloppy about playing anything sooted. They jam the pot with nothing on a scary board against a calling station and get furious when the guy's middle pair holds up. Pretty soon, they're in the red and steaming.

Those meltdowns don't happen all the time. But they happen often enough that I'd be inclined to respect a winner who knows when to get up from the table.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:31 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
and then stop my session short, like after an hour or so. I know logically this is stupid - if you are winning, it's the worst time to quit, because you probably a) are playing well, b) have good table image, c) are at a profitable table.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's only an hour.

a) You may only be running well.
b) Table image is dictated by action recieved.
c) It's only an hour it may not be a profitable table just because you're on a good run.

a & c you should be able to decipher regardless of whether how you are doing during a session.

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any other advice someone can give me to counter this problem? I fele like my growth as a poker player is stunted by my inability to acquire more experience/hands, more confidence, and more bankroll, and I don't want to be stuck at 5/10 forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Develop discipline. If you're going to make any real money you'll have to develop it.

b