Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Bottom set, lots of bets, slow down yet?

I can't tell you much about the villain here but this is Party so let's suppose he is loose, passive and not very good.

22 in the big blind. Limp, limp, raise, SB calls, I call, others call. Here goes.

Flop: K 3 2 with two spades.

SB checks, I bet, UTG calls, MP raises, button folds, SB folds, I 3-bet, UTG folds, MP caps. Okay so he likes his hand a lot. Oh, I call by the way.

Turn: offsuit 7. I bet, he raises.

Now here's the question. At what point do we start to give him credit for having a hand better than ours >50% of the time. In other words, when do we stop pumping and start calling? If at all.

And when the river brings another K it's a clear check-call innit?

Guy.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Bottom set, lots of bets, slow down yet?

Not until the turn gets capped do I worry about KK, 77, or 33.

I don't see why a K on the river would change anything, other than reduce the likelihood of him having KK.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:09 PM

Another K is a blessing. That means he much more likely has AK/KQ/AA that he is going apeshit with than KK.

I 3-bet the turn, and call down if capped.

I misread the hand -- thought MP was PF raiser. So I guess we have to worry about some weak K's that coulda boat on the river.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: K 3 2 with two spades.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the K a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? This is important IMO, since even normally passive players will become very aggressive with TP + flush draw.

Also, to give villlain credit for a better hand >50% of the time would be to put him on 33. KK would be very unlikely given pf action (no LRR too), and 77 would rarely play the flop this way, unless he thought you were full of it - but since you have no read he likely has none too.

I think we are ahead of a weird 2 pair, aggro K, or pair + FD combo that I will 3bet this turn. I call down if capped.

I think I would bet-call a rivered K, non-K 2pairs will call the river bet but may not bet it, some with pair + FDs. Also, the board is so raggy aside from the K that 2pair is IMO more likely to be 2 number cards than something like K2, so I'd expect trips kings more often than kings full.

Surf

Edit: Did I read the hand wrong? It looks like the PFR folds on the flop?
Old 08-08-2005, 12:20 PM

What are the two spades - If the K is not a spade then I can see AK/KQ/KJ [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] going nuts here. I also see AA as a big possibility.

I 3 bet the turn and see if he caps. If he caps then I probably check call the river. If he doesn't then I lead and call a raise.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:21 PM

Seeing as villain limped preflop (and didn't reraise), I think you can all but rule out KK. Really, you are afraid of exactly one hand.
Set over set happens.
Set vs. 2-pair/TPGK happens more often.

I would cap the turn. I don't like the river K so much though, given that K2 and K3 are real possibilities. I think it's close between bet/call and check/call (assuming villain caps the turn).
Old 08-09-2005, 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Is the K a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? This is important IMO, since even normally passive players will become very aggressive with TP + flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right you are. No, the spades were the little cards.

[ QUOTE ]

Did I read the hand wrong? It looks like the PFR folds on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right again. Strange stuff eh?

Guy.