Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Good Books, Bad Books

Indeed, Esfandiari did say that he read and re-read Doyle's NL section in S/S and that became Esfandiari's NL style.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...I've written two (soon to be three) solid additions to the poker literature.

[/ QUOTE ]

A quick search revealed no info. What's the third book going to be?? When's it coming out?? I WANT IT NOW! *ahem* Excuse me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2005, 08:29 PM

We all want this new book NOW.

He and Sklansky are doing a NLHE cash-game book (IOW - not a book on NL tournaments).

I suspect it will be VERY good and I am already giving it a rating of 11.5 (on scale of 1-10) because I already KNOW it will be just THAT much better than some of the books that have already been rated 10's.

Did Mason say this book was coming out on sept 15 or so? Can't remember. If this is the case then I am already quite giddy with anticipation.

Also - on the topic of books: are we still going to get a book from Raymer eventually?

Nice post Ed.
I too am finding LOTS of nifty stuff in King Yao's book.
And I completely agree that more quality books means good things for attempting-to-improve players like me as well as quality poker writers such as yourself.

Would also be interested to hear your thoughts on the 'How good is your Limit Holdem' problem book that some pretty sharp posters around here seem to dig a TON (I don't have it yet).

As well, would be interested on your thoughts on Barry Greenstein's book (which Mason rated very highly).
Old 08-03-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did Mason say this book was coming out on sept 15 or so? Can't remember. If this is the case then I am already quite giddy with anticipation.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I'd love for it to be out now, it is still a few months out. September is too ambitious.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

While I'd love for it to be out now, it is still a few months out. September is too ambitious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quit drinking beers with Clarkmeister and get to writing! Where's my bullwhip and kettle drummer....
Old 08-03-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, I read a couple of threads where people compare Yao's book to SSH. I really think it's apples and oranges. They both cover counting outs and equity and so forth, but then they really branch off. SSH is about adopting a winning philosophy, and then applying that philosophy in a case study (loose opponents). It tells a cohesive story, but doesn't emphasize how things change when the assumptions change.

Yao's book does the opposite. It's short on story and philosophy, but long on describing how different variables affect your decision-making. I think both books should be read by anyone aspiring to play limit hold 'em seriously, and neither book is in any way a replacement for the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a little more verbose than my comparison when asked. I have gone through both a couple times (and more). When folks ask about the difference between the two, I break it down pretty succintly:

SSH - Strategic
Yao - Tactical

Pithy and certainly not all encompassing descriptions, but clear enough to show that you want both. Both are excellent works and well worth the money I paid for them.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Good Books: Anything by Ken Warren; Bad Books (2+2 overrated)

j/k Would think that would bring many 2+2 lemmings out from under the floorboards.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Ciaffone books

The poker chips on Middle Limit Holdem Poker's cover are pretty funny.

I also like this book a lot in the way that it is littered with tons and tons of examples. Even if it is a little weak-tight.