Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 07-08-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Folded to Blinds - Late in $11 Rebuy

Unfortunately I got moved right after this hand so I can't provide a hand history, but I remember the hand pretty well. Not interesting after preflop anyway, but here goes.

It's folded to me in the SB with about 40k stack with 600/1200 blinds and Antes at 75. The BB has about 14k. I have A9o. I make a standard raise to 3600, he pushes, and I call. My standard operating procedure.

I live with SmileyEH who happened to be walking past during the hand. After I made the raise, he said, "Just push, you can't fold to a raise, that's a huge leak not pushing there." I disagreed and gave him my reasons which I'll state here later, but he holds onto his position and I'll give his reasons later too as well as results although they're not important. Also, no read on this guy since i just got moved to the table less than an orbit ago.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-08-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Folded to Blinds - Late in $11 Rebuy

I strongly disagree with your friend. If you open push here, I cant see the BB calling with less than A9o. He probably will only call if you're dominated. If you make a raise like that, he will think he might be able to push you off your hand with smaller aces, 2 face cards, suited connectors, baby pairs etc. I like the way you played it.

Your way probably has a higher variance- because you are going to have to go heads up with TJo, 56s, 22, KQo etc, all hands with a legit chance of beating you- however I think it will be higher EV.

I may be wrong, and if so tell me why.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Folded to Blinds - Late in $11 Rebuy

You played it fine, the only other way I'd play it is to limp/reraise. Just because you aren't folding to a raise doesn't make pushing correct. You will get hands like QT, A6, KJ to play back at you that otherwise may not have. You aren't getting better hands to fold anyways, so you might as well try to get the worse hands to come along as well. His logic would definately be correct with hands such as 22-66 and even weaker aces, where you want to get coinflips to fold.