Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 07-07-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Am I insane? (89s in huge pot)

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop:
Call seems obvious with this much in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
And you have a hand that plays well in a multi-way pot, so giddyup.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop:
Not really very strong, but I still might have the best hand at this point. I 3-bet to try and isolate SB and wasn't terribly thrilled to see MP1 call. SB caps, eh, call.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think you should 3-bet to isolate someone if you don't think your hand is strong, unless you know that someone is a maniac. Here you had just sat down, so this play is pretty questionable.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn:
SB could be checkraising here and I would like to see a showdown so I just check(in retrospect this is probably really weak). MP1's bet suprised me a bit but when SB just calls I I'm getting such good pot odds I call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well this is consistent with your thought process, but I think you'd have been better off calling on the flop, then betting the turn if he checked to you.

[ QUOTE ]
Results ...

[/ QUOTE ]
In retrospect, SB's play to build the pot with his open ended straight draw (high equity) was pretty nifty. But he had know way of knowing it would work like it did. He should have just led out. And his preflop call was crap.

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I posted this hand is because I thought I played it poorly

[/ QUOTE ]
That's probably the reason for about 90% of the hands posted here. And we all just keep learning...
Old 07-07-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You seem to be missing the point completely.

There's nothing wrong with playing those hands for fun. But if you post that hand, expect a few hundred "Fold PF"s. We're not denying the fun factor of the game, but the posts here are not to share about how much fun the game of poker can be. Posts here are to help learn to analyze poker mistakes so that fewer of them are made. There's an obvious mistake being made (posting UTG+1) and it should be pointed out.

We're not looking down at the player who is posting UTG+1, but we're looking down at the value of that particular decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not missing the point at all. If the original poster had simply shared a hand history where he had posted UTG+1, and didn't mention the fact, and other posters let him know that he shouldn't do it, then I wouldn't have said anything.

However, he stated that he knew it was incorrect to post under the gun, but that he had to go somewhere in 20 minutes, and he didn't want to wait. This should have been enough, but for some reason, several posters still felt the need to chime in about how dumb it is to post in EP, and that having somewhere to go and not wanting to wait is not a good reason for doing it. Maybe for them it is not, but for him it is, and they don't need to criticize him for it after he already acknowledged that it wads not technically correct.

Also, for all of you "EV is everything" people, see my thread titled "st00pid question." I think it makes the point in a better way.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think one guy mentioned PF and he focused on the rest of the hand. the other PF mentions of the post as "dumb" were by the OP if you didn't notice that.

i see absolutely nothing wrong here. if this criticism is too harsh for your liking, i highly recommend you avoid SS or HUSH [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, for all of you "EV is everything" people, see my thread titled "st00pid question." I think it makes the point in a better way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really. I know what you're trying to get at but it's somewhat flawed.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You seem to be missing the point completely.

There's nothing wrong with playing those hands for fun. But if you post that hand, expect a few hundred "Fold PF"s. We're not denying the fun factor of the game, but the posts here are not to share about how much fun the game of poker can be. Posts here are to help learn to analyze poker mistakes so that fewer of them are made. There's an obvious mistake being made (posting UTG+1) and it should be pointed out.

We're not looking down at the player who is posting UTG+1, but we're looking down at the value of that particular decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not missing the point at all. If the original poster had simply shared a hand history where he had posted UTG+1, and didn't mention the fact, and other posters let him know that he shouldn't do it, then I wouldn't have said anything.

However, he stated that he knew it was incorrect to post under the gun, but that he had to go somewhere in 20 minutes, and he didn't want to wait. This should have been enough, but for some reason, several posters still felt the need to chime in about how dumb it is to post in EP, and that having somewhere to go and not wanting to wait is not a good reason for doing it. Maybe for them it is not, but for him it is, and they don't need to criticize him for it after he already acknowledged that it wads not technically correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't understand why you're so adamant about defending OP. Here are his own words about his own decision after the first post:

[ QUOTE ]
Post UTG+1 (obviously dumb, I don't really know what I was thinking)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really know why I posted, I think it was probably because I was having a pretty good night and was a little overanxious to start playing at this table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what I said about it:

[ QUOTE ]
Just have a snack and go to the movie. Do you really need to play poker to fill that time? Or else just wait *TWO* hands and post in the big blind. It's not as if this particular decision is going to kill you financially, but you do need to take your money seriously when you sit down to play, if you really want to play well. If you're just playing around... then you wouldn't be posting here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the only other PF comment (excluding the back and forth about the appropriateness of it) that I found:

[ QUOTE ]
First of, leaving in 20 minutes is not an excuse for posting from EP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me why these comments are inappropriate.

Then tell me how this is sort of play is different from somebody saying "I knew I should have folded to that river check-raise, but I called because I wanted to see." It's the same attitude of making poor decisions because "I'm willing to pay for it" that prevents people from playing better poker. Maybe Hero's intention wasn't to play solid poker at the time. Are we supposed to assume that? I hope not, otherwise posting quality will sink far below its current level.

In the end, the poster is responsible for his own play. Suggestions of alternate possibilities are just suggestions. If he values playing those extra two hands more than waiting two minutes, then that's for him to decide. This board is about getting +EV (money, not entertainment EV) ideas out there, and whether anyone actually follows it is up to them.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:45 PM

Yeah it was dumb, I know that and it really wasn't the part of the hand I needed feedback on. At the same time I DID post from EP and reinforcing that point really doesn't hurt. (I usually wait for BB no matter where I start)