Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 08:17 PM

Default My \"move\" on the bubble (?)

Sit and Go, 4 players left, blinds at 50/100

I am SB with about 1500. UTG has roughly the same, ~1500. UTG+1 and BB have 2-2.5K. I had been waiting for UTG to raise (since he was playing super tight now that we were down to 4 handed, I wanted to single him out) and re-raise him all-in with a mid/low pair (if I felt there was a pretty good chance he was on a couple high cards). Well, it happened: UTG raises to 200, UTG+1 folds, I (SB) am dealt T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and go all in. I had been waiting for this move since I felt he wouldn't want to risk getting 4th place with 2 high cards, and I could collect his raise and the blinds. In addition, I am probably ahead if he calls. BB folds (duh) and UTG calls my all-in with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] - he catches a J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the turn to put me in fourth.

Was this a bad move on the bubble?
Old 06-18-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Re: My \"move\" on the bubble (?)

[ QUOTE ]
I had been waiting for UTG to raise (since he was playing super tight now that we were down to 4 handed, I wanted to single him out) and re-raise him all-in with a mid/low pair (if I felt there was a pretty good chance he was on a couple high cards).

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

Your best bet here is to be the first one into the pot. Why are you waiting around to push against a tight player's raise with 15BB? I'm not saying that this is necessarily right or wrong, but I'd just like to hear your reasoning.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:28 PM

If there's someone who's playing very tightly on the bubble, the last thing I want to do is get involved in a pot with them. I want to steal the crap out of their blinds and fold like crazy when they decide to open-raise a pot since I can bet it's a premium hand.

Don't go after someone just because you see a potential leak in their game. Your goal is to win the tourney, not to beat "leaky boy." The time you want to be playing this guy is when you're heads-up.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
since he was playing super tight now that we were down to 4 handed, I wanted to single him out) and re-raise him all-in with a mid/low pair (if I felt there was a pretty good chance he was on a couple high cards).

[/ QUOTE ]

this doesnt make sense to me
i dont think a super-tight player with 15BB would do anything with a couple of high cards
Old 06-19-2005, 01:37 AM

My reasoning is that I am looking for a good place to steal since we are on the bubble, 2x BB looks to me like 2 high cards from this guy (I was correct, AJo) and I want to push it. From EV point of view, I was ahead and he sucked a J out on me. I was really hoping to get a fold from him, but put myself in a nice spot to double up...

I guess my underlying question is bubble play: when I am about even with 3rd/4th place chip stack, do I push/take 50/50's? or do I wait for others to get in confrontations?
Old 06-19-2005, 01:39 AM

?

he raised with AJo, a couple of high cards...and a weak bet at that, 2x BB...weak and tight. I figured my all-in had abetter chance of a fold than a call, and a call put me at >50% EV.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:44 AM

I think the big problem is that your main consideration is whether or not you have the best hand here, not whether or not he'll fold. Even with the best hand here you don't want him calling you...
Old 06-19-2005, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even with the best hand here you don't want him calling you...

[/ QUOTE ]

what strategy does that equate to then on the bubble? If I dont want to get chips in the pot with the best hand, what do i want?
Old 06-19-2005, 01:54 AM

If anything, you dont want to get involved with a tight player when they raise. What do you exactly beat? (QK, AK, AQ, AJ, maybe AT).

I would have just flatcalled.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:12 AM

You want to take t300+ in blinds every single round without showing your cards once. This is my goal on the bubble, to get through L6 with a healthy stack by stealing blinds. You never want to be called unless you have AA-QQ, maybe JJ-99, AK-AQ, assuming your opponents are playing a wide range (hint: not when tight player open raises).

The best bubble SNG player wins hands without having to see a flop.