Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: 4 hands, 3 big slicks, 10th place

[ QUOTE ]

btw scuba, in that spot Id bet like 150...and call any single raise for all my chips. I also don't raise to 60 preflop but whatever, every now and then I do for variety.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, let's move forward. Two scenarios to consider.

1) Let's assume BB calls your bet. Turn is a ten, let's say it makes a 2 flush on the board. BB checks ...you?

2) Let's assume Button calls your bet. Turn is a ten, same 2 flush on the board. Your next move?

On both of these, the pot is ~t550.

Flop was K95r
Old 06-07-2005, 02:19 PM

Bascially pot committed at this point. Would probably move allin, or make a pot committing bet.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Bascially pot committed at this point. Would probably move allin, or make a pot committing bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

IF this is the case, why do you bet less than the pot on the flop?
Old 06-07-2005, 02:33 PM

To get weaker hands to call/raise me. I have no problem whatsoever with betting the whole pot on this board either against so many opponents.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

To get weaker hands to call/raise me. I have no problem whatsoever with betting the whole pot on this board either against so many opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

All right, so let me sum up. With AK, if you hit TPTK on the flop, there's no way around going broke for this hand if you're HU (will start another post with multiple callers). On the flop, if ur first to act, you're betting ~60-65% of the pot. Your intent here is to get weaker hands to call. If it's raised you call. If it's just called, you're putting in the rest of your chips on the turn. There is no way to get away from a set beating you.

Is that a correct summary?
Old 06-07-2005, 02:37 PM

Overall, I'm pushing a little more with AK 1st level. Probably 75 to 90.

1st hand - Played well though I don't think you needed to push all-in to price him out of the flush. 300 would have done. Still fine though.

2nd hand - tough to make a raise like that when you didn't bet enough preflop to have any information. Plenty of hands and draws could beat you with that flop. I'm guessing you hurried that decision.

3rd hand - what's a guy gonna do? You had a great situation and it just didn't hit.

Can't really comment on your overall play based on 3 hands but it's certainly healthy to look in the mirror as opposed to blaming bad beats/cards. That is the only way to get better.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:40 PM

I dunno, poker is rarely that simple where I can just summarize exactly what to do against 3 opponents in one paragraph. I mean a K95 board is a lot different than AQT, KT9 or A72 or whatever.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

No one ever has a set at $33 and under in a headsup pot when I have top pair top kicker on a drawless or mildy coordinated board. At least that's my strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meaning ur going broke with this hand here?

In the meantime, could you provide a little more as to my original question. What is your thought/strategy/betting from here?

[/ QUOTE ]
by starting the tournament with a stack of only 50BB I find it almost impossible to drop AK HU once I hit TP. By the time that I'm suspicious that I may be beat I'm usually pot commited. I'm usually devoid of reads this early and there are too many donkeys out there that will checkraise all in with their TP weaker kicker fot me to justify laying down my AK.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I dunno, poker is rarely that simple where I can just summarize exactly what to do against 3 opponents in one paragraph. I mean a K95 board is a lot different than AQT, KT9 or A72 or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

With vague answers like that it's going to be really hard for Scuba to complete his dossier on you.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]