Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Did I deserve to be berated for this play?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its kinda close, but still a fold. Calling 3,600 here, you need 8:1 (have to flop a set), pot is 11,000 so you're only getting 3:1, and possibly another 11K IF the CO will committ his chips when you flop a set. So you're just under 8:1 with large assumption on implied odds. Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the given circumstances, I would also be inclined to fold too. But not for the reason that I am not getting the 8:1 odds. In a limit ring game, yes. But in a tourney situation, how often do you get the true odds of drawing to a set? I can't think of any significant one. Maybe in early stages when, for example: there is a pot of say, 500 and a scared player hitting a bottom pair or top pair makes a post oak bet of 50 to test whether his hand is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

your not getting even close to explicit odds (is that the word i want? the opposite of "implied") on that call. you're ~1/25 to hit and pot is only 10:1.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:29 PM

i think you'd prefer to be in this pot against KK/AA. you want to be playing against someone who will pay you off if you flop a set.

on the flip side, i guess it's also good to be against AK so you can win unimproved. but i think i'd prefer AA/KK if i were to play (and i wouldn't).
Old 04-14-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That guy was just pissed that he lost with his KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

To his credit, the guy that lost with KK did not criticize my play at all. 3 others did though.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When the other players started chewing you out, don't explain your reasoning; it just gives them information. The best response would have been "I had a feeling that 5 was coming".

[/ QUOTE ]

Or how about, "Poker is easy. I'm beating all you guys and I'm only 14."
Old 04-15-2005, 06:49 PM

That was my take on the situation too. CO tried a trap and it failed. He should be berating himself.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:42 PM

I say, BRAVO!!! If you're always following "stats" and "percentages", how can you give yourself that "mystery" edge? These guys would never guess you had the trip 5, and that's how you win big at poker!!

The fact they berated, shows that they are sore losers and very pissed that you made them look like fools. In fact, they did pretty much the right things themselves, it simply came down to you taking a major risk, and it paid off big time!!!

You have to take a gamble now and then to keep opponents guessing, so BRAVO!!! Why do players feel that poker is all about knowing pretty much what they're opponents next move is according to stupid "stats"?!?