Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 01-14-2005, 04:56 AM

Default TPTK in table that is breaking up (short handed)

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds.
Should be standard

Flop: (5.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.
My 3 bet ok? Villain's cap concerns me do you turn to check call mode or check fold mode at the turn?

Turn: (6.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.
pls help w/ my check/call

River: (8.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.
Same.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2005, 05:23 AM

Default Hard

WHEN I WROTE I THOUGHT IT WAS NL [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

TPTK is one of the hardest hands to play, i think, it's kind of hard to call a re-raise with confident, without having a good read on your opponent. I really feel that TPTK should be played with caution, and i never play (unless i'm on a tilt) them without being the person that "leads the pot".

So, i can't see how you can play this. This is kind of tricky since the button maybe just playing his position, so i call wouldnt be that bad, but i think the right thing to do is to fold anyway. And with a player caping, there's no doubt about it. Off course AJ is a good hand, even in this position in a short game, but this time it's time to let go man [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Also, at this level a re-raise close to always means a nice hand, and a cap ain't lyin'.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:29 AM

Default Re: TPTK in table that is breaking up (short handed)

read or stats on button?!

this is more than necessary in short play. even something general, like "button is frisky" or "weaky mctight" can change the play of this hand.

If button is frisky, the call down is ok. An alternative is bet/folding the turn, but I prefer to show TPTK down in a shorthanded pot.
bk
Old 01-14-2005, 05:33 AM

Gametime only picked up 8 hands on the Villain at the time with a 75% VPIP... other than that I didn't have a read (the table was breaking up and I was just waiting to leave just before BB comes)

Thx!
Old 01-14-2005, 05:44 AM

Typically in this situation I'm calling down. Some of the time villain cold-called with 88 and you're going to lose, but many players feel that it's good to fire chips with both hands when the table is shorthanded. Against these players (ones who have high vp$ip and postflop aggression) I'm calling down and expecting to be shown J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or even less.
I don't feel you're winning this hand very often, but since you're out of position, the check/calldown is an OK tactic against an aggressive opponent. Either he'll keep betting a worse hand, or you'll lose the least to a set/2pair.

If you did lose, hope villain stays around a while longer. Shorthanded full tables are some of the most profitable situations you can come across, though super-aggression will cause ups &amp; downs.

bk