Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: Is the average poker player a more trustworthy person?
Yes 13 13.13%
No 45 45.45%
Too close to call / can't tell 41 41.41%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2004, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Poll: Best Beer Country?

My experience tells me that warm and dry countries doesn't make very good beer. I guees they lack the tradition because they don't grow barley (needs a decent amount of water to grow) and in the old days importing malted barley wasn't as easy as today

The image of Mexico being a hot and dry country is common here in the States, too. It probably comes from movies. Although there are plenty of hot and dry places, it also has mountains and mountainous plateaus.

I'm not sure where they grow their barley. I assume they grow their own, but they've been connected to the high plains of the US and Canada by rail since at least the 1880's. Imported or not, they malt the barley in Mexico. The 1880's is also when their modern brewing industry was first developed by brewmasters immigrated from northern europe.

Of greater importance, what Mexico has in great quantities is excellent water, and a population with sophisticated palates. It may come as a shock to people whose only exposure to Mexican cooking comes from americanized fast-food restaraunts, but Mexican cuisine is as good as any in the world.

One problem with drinking Mexican beer in the states is that they have to dilute the alcoholic content in order to import it. The difference in taste between beers bought on either side of the border can be staggering, but freshness must also be a factor in this.

Negro Modelo is a good example of a darker, mass-produced Mexican beer. I only hope you were able to taste a fresh bottle. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (From your posts, I know that you understand my feelings about freshness.) NM is a favorite of ray zee, but if I were trying to influence you, I would probably give you the similar Noche Bueno.

Pacifico is a lighter beer, of the type popular in the US. OK on a hot day.

If I were restricted to drinking beer from only one country, but had no further choice as to which particular brand, I would place Mexico on the top of my list. "It's all good." Sadly, I'd probably put the US last: too influenced by mass marketing.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Budvar is made by Budejovicky Budvar

[/ QUOTE ]
I visited the Budweiser Brewery (or in Czech, Budejovicky Pivovar [which can be shortened to Budvar: Bud- + -var]) this summer, and I considered it to be similar to a Muslim's trip to Medina.
Their beer is now available in the U.S. again under the mark Czechvar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Pivovar it is, sorry. Pivo being the czech word for beer of course.

I really like your image of a holy trip. Just have to do it once before you die [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And now there's a third Bud on the international market. From the older private brewery Mestansky Pivovar also located in Budejovicky. It goes under the name B.B. A new gold mine for American Bud's laywers?
Old 12-16-2004, 04:32 PM

You're absolutely right. I know nothing of Mexico except what I get from american television. There's a long way from Denmark to Mexico [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]