Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 03:46 AM

Default Three AKo hands

These are from my first session of 1/2, I've been playing 0.5/1 for about 17k hands and recently I began playing 4 tables, but since the computer I 4-table got broken I can only play 1 or 2 tables in the old computer, so I decided to give 1/2 a try. In the session I had AK an insane number of times and I think I need to check it here.

Hand 1, Villian seems LAA, good 3-bet on the turn after check-rise?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (11.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB

Hand 2, here the button is LP, he limps with a lot of hands but he tightens up if there's a rise, the other persons seem decent at least. Should I continue on this flop?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (20.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, Hero folds...

Hand 3, I don't remember anything in particular for this opponent. I thought I wanted to see a showdown cheap so my plan was to check the turn and call a bet on the river, should I be more aggressive in that spot? My hand is not that bad but I didn't wanted to get check-raised.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6 BB

Thanks for your comments.

Abelardo
Old 03-31-2005, 06:15 AM

Default Re: Three AKo hands

Hand 1: You went with your read, and it looks like you were right. 3-betting turn checkraises is fun, when the situation warrants it.

Anyway, while UTG could have raised two big clubs preflop or 77, there aren't a whole lot of hands I'd expect him to have that actually are ahead of you on the turn (though, since he's a LAG, who knows?). I think more often he's checkraising with a worse (or sometimes equal) ace, and occasionally (or maybe more than occasionally, since he's a LAG) he'll be making a play with his 99 or even K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in an effort to push you off of QQ.

And while I wouldn't necessarily be happy if Villain capped the turn, you do at least have a flush draw if he caps with a better hand.

Hand 2: I think grudgingly folding is probably sensible. I don't trust your overcard outs that much (it's quite possible Button has AA or KK), and while you are getting an immediate 26:2, you aren't closing the action. Plus, one or two of your outs may be in MP3's hand, and the straight (and two pair) potential on the board is somewhat of a concern, especially if MP2 is loose.

Hand 3: I like the turn check. Getting checkraised when you have overcards and a gutshot wouldn't be much fun.

You are giving up your chance of taking the pot right there and possibly driving SB off of, say, 33 when you check, but I think this is a sitation where it's good to check with outs.

On the river, you do have a hand that can snap off a bluff. I don't make a habit of calling with ace-high in smallish pots, but I do it on occasion when heads-up.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:33 AM

Hand 1: Awesome three-bet on turn, especially since you have the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I play this the same.

Hand 2: Flop doesn't improve and two bets to you, so folding is fine here.

Hand 3: I bet the turn here because you're the agressor in the hand and still have 10* outs to TPTK or better, so even if you're check-raised you still have odds to call it down.

*I'm not discounting clubs since it'd be a runner-runner flush.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:17 PM

Hand 1 &amp; 2: I'd play it the same

Hand 3: I would check this down against more opponents, but I think you have to bet the turn here heads up.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:31 AM

I think all three looked good. I might bet the third one on the turn just to see if I could push him out, but how you played it is fine.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:02 AM

Hand 1 I like.
Hand 2 I like.
Hand 3 I mostly like. I'd bet the turn and fold to a CR if I didn't pick up the straight draw, but if the same thing happens with the straight draw you'll still have to fold and miss out on your free card. I don't really like the river call.

Edit: Forgot about the overcard outs which mean you'll have to call hand 3 on the turn to a CR anyway.

Someone said they sometimes call AK high heads up like in hand 3. I kind of like doing it around people you haven't played with so they're less likely to try and push you off of it when you try the same play in the future.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:57 AM

Hiya!
I love the aggressive play on Hand 1.
Hand 3..I'd bet that...seems kinda weak tight to check behind..and screams "I missed the flop with AK". If you bet turn opponent is likely to think PP or AQ..if he calls you're prob beat IMO.
HAnd 2 is more in between to me..personally I'd keep the aggressive advantage and bet..if its 3 to me when it comes back around i do the pot odds and decide...I don't think you can be to worried bout str8 here.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:21 AM

Hand 1: I don't see how the 2 really helps villian, and given you feel he's lagish, 3-betting is good. I'm not giving him credit for a flush yet. Probably some kind of silly bluff/raise with second/bottom pair. Rest is fine.

Hand 2: I'm not sure how many outs you really have hear. My guess is less than 3 with 3 others in thet pot and that action. Good fold.

Hand 3: I usually prefer to bet the turn and check behind the river with AK overcards HU. This gives villian 2 chances to fold, and it's also less likely he's bluffing at the river when the board pairs. Then you can safely fold to a river bet UI. But your line isn't bad. I'm really up in the air about how to play these. Reads would help a bit.