Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Daniel Negreanu - will you ever win again?

I find it amazing with these pros. They win a few tournaments. Become real famous. Get lots of endorsement opportunities and then can never win again. Something seems wrong with the 'superstar status' in poker. It almost doesn't seem to be a real notion - the 'poker superstar'.

Daniel Negreanu was one such superstar. Forget about winning an event. He can not even cash in anymore. He only survives becasue of all his endorsements, tv appearances, dvd's, games that he is creating. But as far as being a winning tournament player anymore, it doesn't look that way.

But i think it really has to do with the myth of being a poker superstar. You win a tournament or two and you instantly gain superstar status. But is that realy correct? Perhaps the short term luck factor is making players seem more like superstars than they really are. And perhaps no one is really a superstar. A few come close, such as phil ivy, johhny chan, ted forrest, kathy liebert.

But in general the poker superstar is a myth and Daniel Negreanu is a prime example.

Daniel, do you think you will ever win a tournament again?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Daniel Negreanu - will you ever win again?

[ QUOTE ]
I find it amazing with these pros. They win a few tournaments. Become real famous. Get lots of endorsement opportunities and then can never win again. Something seems wrong with the 'superstar status' in poker. It almost doesn't seem to be a real notion - the 'poker superstar'.

Daniel Negreanu was one such superstar. Forget about winning an event. He can not even cash in anymore. He only survives becasue of all his endorsements, tv appearances, dvd's, cashgames that he is beating. But as far as being a winning tournament player anymore, it doesn't look that way.

But i think it really has to do with the myth of being a poker superstar. You win a tournament or two and you instantly gain superstar status. But is that realy correct? Perhaps the short term luck factor is making players seem more like superstars than they really are. And perhaps no one is really a superstar. A few come close, such as phil ivy, johhny chan, ted forrest, kathy liebert.

But in general the poker superstar is a myth and Daniel Negreanu is a prime example.

Daniel, do you think you will ever win a tournament again?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-13-2005, 08:07 PM

yes
Old 12-13-2005, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But i think it really has to do with the myth of being a poker superstar. You win a tournament or two and you instantly gain superstar status. But is that realy correct? Perhaps the short term luck factor is making players seem more like superstars than they really are. And perhaps no one is really a superstar.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're onto something here
Old 12-13-2005, 08:17 PM

His ability to win tournaments is starting to look like a fluke these days. Probably a combination of his playing style becoming very well known, larger tournament fields, his recent marriage, and numerous outside projects.

I would guess he will not win another major tournament until at least 2007.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But i think it really has to do with the myth of being a poker superstar. You win a tournament or two and you instantly gain superstar status.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. But Daniel Negreanu is not a good example of it. Not even close.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:57 PM

Daniel is obviously good enough to win tournaments. He just needs to focus more on playing good poker. When he's on his game, he's damn good. But he hasn't been on his game lately. Too much other stuff going on in his life.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:58 PM

Yeah, you're right. He just got lucky. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/rank.php?a=r&n=1
Old 12-13-2005, 09:11 PM

That's a terrible argument, since Joe Hachem is first on that list for winning ONE major tournament.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a terrible argument, since Joe Hachem is first on that list for winning ONE major tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're just making my point for me since Negreanu did NOT win any one huge tournament. Even if you take out his WPT wins, he's up around $4MM. How can anyone say that someone that's won that much isn't a good tournament player?
Closed Thread