Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 06:24 PM

Default TJo all in, homegame

8 handed Homegame.
I play limit online and post in the small stakes limit forum. This is my first post in this forum so bare with me.

I'm down 2 buyins for the evening. I've missed my draws, payed off with marginal second best hands, been bluffed etc.
My strategy was to limp with many hands to see cheap flops and score big if I hit. UTG is a bit laggy. He is capable of folding to aggression postflop but doesn't believe in tough laydowns. BB is a TAG, plays 6max online and posts in this forum. We all know eachother well.

Stacks: I have 90 big bets villains have me covered, almost twice as much.

Preflop:Hero is UTG with T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero calls, UTG+1 raises 6 BB, BB calls,

Flop: (18 BB) A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 bets 6 BB, BB raises to 15 BB, Here goes all in with 84 BB

All of us know that UTG probably doesn't have all that much.

Please focus on postflop
Old 12-10-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: TJo all in, homegame

This is a laydown and an auto one a that. It seems in this hand your metagame concerns may outweigh alot of other considerations.

Cambraceres
Old 12-10-2005, 07:35 PM

Bluffing should be done when you are consistently winning; not when you are stuck. People call losers much more liberally than they call winners.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:38 PM

So a TAG player (BB) calls preflop, then raises on the flop...and you want to come over the top of him with nothing?
Old 12-10-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
8 handed Homegame.
I play limit online and post in the small stakes limit forum. This is my first post in this forum so bare with me.

I'm down 2 buyins for the evening. I've missed my draws, payed off with marginal second best hands, been bluffed etc.
My strategy was to limp with many hands to see cheap flops and score big if I hit. UTG is a bit laggy. He is capable of folding to aggression postflop but doesn't believe in tough laydowns. BB is a TAG, plays 6max online and posts in this forum. We all know eachother well.

Stacks: I have 90 big bets villains have me covered, almost twice as much.

Preflop:Hero is UTG with T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero calls, UTG+1 raises 6 BB, BB calls,

Flop: (18 BB) A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 bets 6 BB, BB raises to 15 BB, Here goes all in with 84 BB

Please focus on postflop

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you decided to bluff against a TAG who just check-raised. This is chip spewing without one amazing read.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:51 PM

Wow.

I hate to pile on the bandwagon, but this really seems suicidal. I guess it could be +EV if you're pretty sure UTG+1 has nothing and BB will fold anything less than a set yet would check/raise with top pair -- I'd have to work out all the plausible hands for BB. More typically, I'm guessing you get called by BB's AQ or something similar.

The bigger issue is that you're in a "loose a lot/win a little" situation, so you have to be really sure noone else is going to call you. Consequently it's unlikely that the conditions would ever be right, given the betting in front of you, for this bluff to be +EV.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yeah... you said that you were UTG and you had jack-high with backdoor straight and fourth-nut flush draws. I agree that UTG doesn't have much. :-)
Old 12-10-2005, 08:14 PM

(nearly) Regardless of player styles, bluffing in front of this kind of action is only half-way acceptable when you actually have outs.

Looks like you just got tired of the cold deck, and your move reaks of a diamond draw which you don't even have.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:00 AM

I meant UTG+1, he probably doesnt have much.