Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: When not to make a continuation bet

[ QUOTE ]
i disagree. i think by firing into 'thinking players' is exactly how you come up with a big score. i make 3 continuation bets and take down the pot. now i'm ahead, and if the next 2 times i get raised and i have to fold that's ok. at that point i've still picked up more chips than i've lost and i've set the up the move, so the third time someone rasies my continuation bet is when i flopped 3 aces and i get it all in as a huge favorite.

if you play pretty tight, and make the same type of play with your monster that you make with nothing you will be better off making the play 99.5% of the time. bet, bet , bet, and then bet again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree continuation bets are good but you have to watch out for the smart ones that will let you do the betting and re pop you on the river, now you are left with kibbles n bits and on your way out the door. You should only bet if you think it will win you the pot, if you get called the man has you beat a majority of the time.

Conclusion: Continuation bets good but USE caution.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
By the way, if you fire out anything less than a full pot bet on this board, I'm calling and leading out the turn with almost any two assuming I have a decent stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many of the top posters here advocate using less than a pot sized continuation bet. Harrington does the same in HOH. Don't think that just because a bet is less than pot sized it doesn't indicate strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you should use less than a pot sized continuation bet most of the time. But if you use it against a draw heavy board against a good player, he will know that you do not have a hand because if you did you would be protecting against the draw.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:42 PM

this is a good way to bleed off chips. this is so easy for other players to pick up on. how many time that you raise preflop, will the board actually hit your hand?

in your example, you say you flopped 3 Aces and someone raises your CB. How often does this happen? #1, villain would had to have hit his hand or try and make you think he did(probably not an A since you have AA and since you bet preflop, he's going to be worried that the A hit you unless he hit 2 pair or lower set - maybe a draw).

Continuation bets are what they are and you won't always have first in vigourish after the flop. Are you going over the top when you miss the flop and someone leads out. Bet, bet, bet seems to indicate that. I assume when you miss the flop, you are folding SOMETIMES to a postflop bet from OOP villain.

Really believe if you are too predictable, that your opponents will be able to use this against you and your percentage of times that you take down the hand drops drastically because of your standard line.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Of course you should use less than a pot sized continuation bet most of the time. But if you use it against a draw heavy board against a good player, he will know that you do not have a hand because if you did you would be protecting against the draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't make a pot-sized bet here with a made hand. I want Villain playing his draw. I would certainly prefer he called a 3/4 pot bet with a flush draw than folded to a pot-sized bet.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've made a full pot 'continuation bet' (as opposed to several other kinds of bet that don't involve me raising PF) exactly zero times this year.

BTW, this is a clear bet, because either BB has a K or he missed this board, and you don't want to be forced off your hand on the turn.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've made a full pot 'continuation bet' (as opposed to several other kinds of bet that don't involve me raising PF) exactly zero times this year.

BTW, this is a clear bet, because either BB has a K or he missed this board, and you don't want to be forced off your hand on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not advocating a pot sized continuation bet. I am advocating checking behind.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
By the way, if you fire out anything less than a full pot bet on this board, I'm calling and leading out the turn with almost any two assuming I have a decent stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many of the top posters here advocate using less than a pot sized continuation bet. Harrington does the same in HOH. Don't think that just because a bet is less than pot sized it doesn't indicate strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but this shows a complete lack of 2nd level thinking. Make the bet that you think will be called or folded to based on what you think villain thinks of your play.

Take the following example. Pot is 300 and I fire a CB of 200 into it. Villain now has to call 200 into a 500 pot. He's getting 2.5:1 which is inadequate odds for almost any draw going to the turn - so we're still protecting against the draw and risking less of our stack to do it. It accomplishes the same exact thing. Making pot sized bets here is exactly why you are on the losing end with regard to contination bets. You're risking and losing too much so that you need to win more often to compensate.

If you wanted to consider the odds going all the way to the river that's a different story because now you're considering odds with two cards to come which is usually only done in an all-in confrontation. Villain shouldn't call this bet going to the turn with a draw based on these odds unless he knows he'll be seeing a river card - as would be the case in an all-in confrontation.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but this shows a complete lack of 2nd level thinking. Make the bet that you think will be called or folded to based on what you think villain thinks of your play.

Take the following example. Pot is 300 and I fire a CB of 200 into it. Villain now has to call 200 into a 500 pot. He's getting 2.5:1 which is inadequate odds for almost any draw going to the turn - so we're still protecting against the draw and risking less of our stack to do it. It accomplishes the same exact thing. Making pot sized bets here is exactly why you are on the losing end with regard to contination bets. You're risking and losing too much so that you need to win more often to compensate.

If you wanted to consider the odds going all the way to the river that's a different story because now you're considering odds with two cards to come which is usually only done in an all-in confrontation. Villain shouldn't call this bet going to the turn with a draw based on these odds unless he knows he'll be seeing a river card - as would be the case in an all-in confrontation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't advocate pot-sized continuation bets. Geez.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So I should fire a pot sized bet or you won't beleive me but you aren't firing bets that size?

Pick one. Geez [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So I should fire a pot sized bet or you won't beleive me but you aren't firing bets that size?

Pick one. Geez [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, yes that is exactly correct.