Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Set of 8s with Q8397 board and strong player push

$.10/.25 NL 6 max

I have been at the table with Villain for probably three hours. He seems pretty solid. I haven't seen him lose any real big pots, but he does make obvious mistakes, so I can tell he is not super sophisticated.

(5 handed)
Hero: $91.55
CO: $22.15
Villain (Button): $91.42
SB: $40.30
BB: $28.15

Hero is UTG with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Pre-flop: Hero <font color="red"> raises to $.85 </font> , Cut-off calls $.85, Villain calls $.85, SB folds, BB folds.

(Pot $2.90) Flop (3 players): Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero <font color="red"> bets $2 </font>, CO folds, Villain <font color="red"> raises to $4 </font>, Hero <font color="red"> calls $2. </font>

(Pot $10.90) Turn (2 players): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero <font color="red"> checks, </font> Villain <font color="red"> bets $5, </font> Hero <font color="red"> raises to $12, </font> Villian <font color="red"> 3-bets to $25, </font> Hero <font color="red"> calls $13. </font>

(Pot $60.90) River (2 players): 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero <font color="red"> checks, </font> Villain <font color="red"> bets all-in $61.57, </font> Hero thinks, <font color="red"> calls $61.57. </font> Final pot: $182.04.

QQ would have reraised preflop to get CO out. 99, JT and 65 would not have minraised me postflop. None of these hands would bet more than the pot on the end, but instead make a bet I can call with a good hand, like $30 or $40. Right??? So I call.

Did I do something wrong here? What would you have done (on any street)?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Set of 8s with Q8397 board and strong player push

You should have reraised him on the flop, $10 or more. Checking this turn is bad as well, what if villian checked behind to take a free card?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:13 PM

I have not and am not going to read your post. Call.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:36 PM

On the flop, you should be reraising again...you have a great hand, but its still vulnerable, and Villain has indicated that he wants to play.

On the turn, I dislike the check...I'd definitely lead here. As played, you should have raised him more ($12 is only pot afterall), and then if he 3 bets, it makes it more sensible to push over the top.

call on the river...if he has TJs (which is the most probable), then that sucks.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:42 PM

You lost to JsTs.....I don't see what else he can have.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:47 PM

He could have 33, he seems to like his hand from the get go.

Of course yes JsTs would play out just the same.

Was he loose enough to come in with Q8 or Q3 because its SOOTED?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:52 PM

My instinct is most likely J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], threes are possible but unlikely. I fold this set against a "strong player", but I feel like your pot control during this hand kinda sucked. Popping him on the turn, and then calling is bad....I think you gotta fold the river. I think J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] def. raises here in position as well, so it all fits. Or he just made some donkey play that I cant think of right now.

edit: Oh yeah, DONT CALL ON THE FLOP!
Old 11-21-2005, 06:41 PM

Why do you think 33 is less likely than JTs? JTs is only one possible hand combination, though it certainly does look like that cause villains turn raise wasn't very strong, but that could just be newbish play.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:48 PM

Since you telegraphed that you have a very good hand on the turn with your raise/call I think any near nuts hand would put your whole stack rather than than half pot or something.

Hey I can't believe no one has given the universal advice that he should raise more pf (to at least 4xBB +1x per limper as the standard) yet [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 07:05 PM

He had 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

At showdown I really did not know what to think, it was basically a toss up and I was getting 2 to 1 on my money... although I probably misplayed it prior to that, getting myself into that situation. I definitely thought JT was the best possibility, and just hoped that he overvalued a worse hand. And luckily he did. Thanks for the responses.... I'll reraise the flop and bet out the turn next time.