Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Advice for being \"that yong punk\"

This forum has quite a few very talented young players, so hopefully someone can give something good.

I am playing in a 200$ 50 player MTT with a friend from work next week. It is a regular game, with extremely succesful businessmen, at a country club. Now, although I am somewhat accomplished in the finance field, I am 27, and I look like I am 21. I KNOW these guys are going to see me as a young punk outsider (probably even an internet player!!!) who thinks he is going to run over their game.

Im not asking for playing strategy in the "you should tighten up early on sense". More meta-game, psychological type ploys. Anyone have any anecdotes from similar situations?
Old 06-01-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Advice for being \"that yong punk\"

All I would say is to be very respectful and gracious. Introduce yourself. Give them a handshake. Thank them for letting you play. Be nice, but not overly nice. Don't try to sound smart. Don't be a table coach. Just enjoy yourself, play your game.

If you win a hand, say 'nice hand.' If you lose a hand, say 'nice hand.' If you bust someone out, say 'good game.' If you bust, say 'good game.'

Getting into a game with successful and wealthy businessmen isn't something you want to screw up. Just play your game, be very polite, and hopefully, walk away with some connections ...

And their money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I KNOW these guys are going to see me as a young punk outsider (probably even an internet player!!!) who thinks he is going to run over their game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reinforce this perception early and then tighten up; your bigger hands are probably more likely to get paid if everybody has the impression that you're a young kid with too much gamble.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:45 PM

Im not playing to make friends and connections. I am not going to be a rude table coach b/c I despise them both.

I appreciate the response, but I wasnt looking for a lesson in manners. More along these lines, which I got from a friend, "manipulating your own image is easy, b/c many people see you as a target. Show a bluff to someone you think will steam, and he will pay you off all night."
Old 06-01-2005, 01:09 PM

Just be yourself and like you said, don't be a coach. No one would like that. If these are sucessful businessmen, then you are probably looking at dead money from the get go. I can't recall a sucessful businessman that I've played with recently that wasn't just throwing money away in a low buy-in event like $200 at a Country Club.

Just make sure you get invited back.