Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Question of when to quit

To me quitting for the night because of tilt just screams of a lack of discipline.

I will however often log off and go make some food, watch some TV or go to the gym or something if I fell significant tilt coming on. Take at least an hour, calm down and hit it again fresh.

Quitting for the night on tilt also keeps me pissed off all night and I don’t end up sleeping well because of it, and I need all the beauty sleep I can get!
Old 05-06-2005, 11:44 AM

If I have a couple of bad beats early in the session, it really does seem as though it often sets the tone for the entire session. I can't explain it either.

I am fairly certain that I don't change my playing. If I do get very upset because it's getting too relentless, I leave the table before I start making mistakes.

Mathematically, there's no justification for thinking bad/good cards have to come in runs like that.

However, I think it is possible that when you are running really badly, others can see that. That might change their own play in slight ways that contribute to your downturn. Perhaps they make calls they wouldn't otherwise make and increase the probability that one of them will suck out on you again.

In the end, the key is to get up and get away from the table as soon as you think your emotions are interfering with your play.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another sign that it's time to quit is when I pick up KK or QQ and immediately lament the money I'm about to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

That one cracked me up. Been there done that!
Old 05-06-2005, 11:47 AM

When I sit down to play it is for a specified amount of time. Win lose or draw I quit at quitting time.

As for each individual table I am at, I always Buy-In for 40BB. If at any table I lose half my buy-in I'll leave that table and go find another one. Whether it's luck or skill that put me in that hole I just find it better to start over at a new table...
Old 05-06-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even when you're running decent, when there are 4-5 players in a capped preflop pot when you've got AA, I'm always fairly certain I'm getting cracked.

[/ QUOTE ]

That’s a bad way to look at it. Even against 5 foes AA will still win far more than it’s share of the time.

Some numbers from my PT database with 25k hands. I have been delt AA 96 times.

All AA hands

Win% - 73.96
BB/Hand - 2.57

AA 0-3 to flop

Win% - 90.70
BB/Hand - 1.51

AA 4-10 to flop

Win% - 66.67
BB/Hand - 4.01

BB/Hand is the average including all times you lose.

So against more opponents you win less often, but you win more then enough to compensate when your hand holds up.

-G
Old 05-06-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the end, the key is to get up and get away from the table as soon as you think your emotions are interfering with your play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutly. You should only stop if you feel you are not playing your best for whatever reason. Tired, distracted, or Tilt.

Remeber in the end your whole life is just 1 big poker game with a bunch of pauses.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:26 PM

I have a problem of not being able to quit when things are going poorly. I know the past outcome of cards has no bearing on the future outcomes...so I keep playing thinking that at any minute it's gonna turn around. But usually by then I am playing poor enough/tilting that things don't get better. I recently had a 2 downswing month where so many sessions ended on a sour note, it was disheartening.

I am trying to quit playing when I notice I'm playing like a chump and feeling like I'm forcing matters.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Another sign that it's time to quit is when I pick up KK or QQ and immediately lament the money I'm about to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

That one cracked me up. Been there done that!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me, too! I once lost with QQ four times in a row over about 30 min. Then I'd wince every time I saw a premium hand and wonder "great - how much is this going to cost me?" This is also when I breathe a big sigh of relief over being dealt 72o so I can safely fold without losing any more money.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:34 PM

I usually quit when I lose 25BB at each table. So if I am two tabling I will quit each table after losing 25BB at that table... seems to work well for me. If I am winning and at a good table I will go as long as I can before literally falling asleep on the keyboard... last night was one of those sessions. Both tables were running good for me and I went til I was dozing off. I remember reading one of the HE books and it saying prop your eyes with toothpicks when the getting is good.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:38 PM

Weird. Yesterday was like that for me, too. I ended up down 10BB but it was the wildest night I've ever had. Way up, way down, bad beats, and big pots that I won against idiots who had no business calling all my raises. I lost with 4 full houses, a nut flush, and nut straight on the river! I also lost with a flopped set (played aggressively) to a 53o who made a striaght on the river. The tables were so juicy, though, I had to keep at it and eventually clawed my way back to near even. Went to bed exhausted!