Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 09:25 AM

Default Are these chips any good?

I thought these might be kinda cool for our home game. Anybody seen them in person?

Centennial chips at pokerbargains.com
Old 03-29-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Are these chips any good?

Golly, those look super-swell! Maybe we could get that nifty-galifty logo embroidered on some Members Only jackets! And we could wear them while we play! It would look great tattooed on my butt, too!

Ugh. What an AWFUL design, especially with that obnoxious trademark "TM" in the art. Save your pennies until you find a set that is actually “kinda cool”. Use matchsticks and pennies until then.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:55 AM

Hey Nick, no need to pull any punches with me. Why don't you tell me how you *really* feel!! :^}

Personally, I like the looks. I want something that does not have plain centers, but I don't want denominations either (which most seem to have). I also don't want labels. These seem like a nice comprimise at a good price.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:20 PM

If they're just for your home game, and if you're using those awful "suited" plastic chips now, than they look fine to me, despite the TM in the center. Use them and enjoy them, but don't expect much in the quality department.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:44 PM

They look like beer bottle caps.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They look like beer bottle caps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe *that's* why they appeal to me! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2005, 06:02 PM

If you like the look I'd considering get with Jason or Lynbark and do up some custom Nexgen's... Jason's chip example & Label info

- Fins
Old 03-29-2005, 08:15 PM

I suck for making fun of the chips you like. I feel shame. They just seem a little cheesey to me. Lurking 2+2 for a while and seeing everyone's cool Paulson, Nexgen, Chipco chips have made me a chip snob. That having been said, the regular home game I play in uses cheap composite dice chips. If I can get it past the bride, I'm going for the Desert Sands chips here.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:15 PM

If you like the looks, it's probably worth taking a gamble for $100 but I don't think the'll be anywhere close to the nexgens or even the "faux clays" for playability. A big part of "a nice chip" is how it stacks, cuts and splashes. Looks aren't everything, I'd rather play with "faux clay" than some generic plastic chip with a sticker (not that the chips in question are generic plastic). Faux clay .06 each, nexgen .18 each, faux clay are pretty damn ugly and the nexgens look great to me. Bottom line, either gamble $100 that you'll like them or get samples.

here're my nexgens, I think the're hawt... Under $250 to my door for 700, 7 racks, Elite700 case and the labels printed. That also covers my can of spraypaint for the labels:
Old 03-30-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you like the looks, it's probably worth taking a gamble for $100 but I don't think the'll be anywhere close to the nexgens or even the "faux clays" for playability. A big part of "a nice chip" is how it stacks, cuts and splashes. Looks aren't everything, I'd rather play with "faux clay" than some generic plastic chip with a sticker (not that the chips in question are generic plastic). Faux clay .06 each, nexgen .18 each, faux clay are pretty damn ugly and the nexgens look great to me. Bottom line, either gamble $100 that you'll like them or get samples.

here're my nexgens, I think the're hawt... Under $250 to my door for 700, 7 racks, Elite700 case and the labels printed. That also covers my can of spraypaint for the labels:

[/ QUOTE ]

Some good comments. I'm curious about a couple things. First, how does one evaluate chips...what should I be looking for. I got samples of the tri-color suited chips which seem nice to me, but I've seem 'em lumped with, and trashed along with the $.08 composite dice chips.

Second, folks seem pretty happy here with labeled chips. I assumed that was the chintzy way out. I would think they would not wear well. Are all the high-end chips just labels in the center???