Two Plus Two Older Archives

Old 03-15-2005, 08:25 PM
TheTimeIsUp TheTimeIsUp is offline
Senior Member

Location: The OC, Cali
Default Chaning names at Stars

Is this possible to do? Is there any possible way?
Old 03-15-2005, 08:35 PM
AwesomeAli AwesomeAli is offline
Senior Member

Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Default Re: Chaning names at Stars

No, none what-so-ever

Ali
Old 03-15-2005, 09:09 PM
ctv1116 ctv1116 is offline
Senior Member

Location: Princeton, NJ

You probably can, if you have previously played very little and have a compelling reason. I was able to get my handle changed, likely because I hadn't played on the site for a good 6 months and my handle was at the time my full name, which I was uncomfortable with.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:28 PM
n1stunnor n1stunnor is offline
Senior Member

From late August of 04..

Hello XXXXXXXXXXX,

The reason we do not permit user ID changes is partially technological and partially psychological, and partially for security.

From the technological side (without getting too much into the nitty-gritty details of database management and database integrity), it is not a
trivial change. For example, your user ID is not stored on each hand history you've played. On the database side, it's stored just as a number to save space, and the user ID is stored only once, in your user account. When you request a hand history, it looks up your user ID
and inserts it where it should go. If you changed the user ID on your account, then all the past hand histories would change.... and it would be
a bad thing to have older histories say that "finesse914" was in seat 3 of that hand, while other players have histories requested after the change
that say "angelfins" was in seat 3. That would cause users who noted the apparent discrepancy to question the accuracy of our database, which we cannot permit. Thus, same-account user ID changes are technologically
impossible without extensive changes to the database software.

From the psychological side, in face-to-face poker you can remember a person by their appearance, their mannerisms, or their name. Chris Moneymaker will always be recognized as himself when he enters a card room. Online, all those things are gone. The only thing a player has
to identify you as an opponent at the table is your user ID, and your image (which we do permit to be changed more easily). It would be unfair to other players to "get to know" your playing style (taking notes, etc), and
then permit you to close the account in favor of a different user ID.

To keep all players on the same playing field, we routinely deny all user ID changes even though it would otherwise be a simple matter of closing one account and opening another.

Finally, the security portion of the reason for this policy is that all of the things that make your account "yours" are lost if you jump to another
account. All of your hand histories, your financial transactions, your chat.... everything is left behind and cannot be moved to your new
account. For financial security, much of this data is mandatory and cannot be considered dispensible.

All three of these reasons distill down to a uniform policy of no user ID changes being permitted. Occasionally, we will make an exception to this
rule in extreme circumstances (as was the case with Josh), but such exceptions are extremely rare.

If you would care to further justify your reasons for requesting an exception to this policy, I would be happy to reconsider the matter.

Best Regards,

Jeff
PokerStars Support Supervisor