Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 01:05 AM

Default Stymied Steal

Any advice?

The game had just recently turned from 6 handed to 3 handed, and the villian in this hand seemed rather loose -- little over half the flops -- but otherwise unremarkable.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 3 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB
Old 03-02-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Stymied Steal

I think I'd probably just fold on the flop.
If I did continue, raising has value, but I simply call his turn bet. I don't think after betting at you twice he's going to fold enough to justify the raise.

pf raise is marginal, too.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:56 AM

fold the flop
Old 03-02-2005, 03:12 AM

maybe this is a big leak for me, but i raise the flop like you did in hopes of a free card on the turn. If i get nothign on the turn i fold when he bets into me again. I picked up the double gutshot and flush draw though so i continue. Fold on the river when you have nothing.

edit* The preflop raise is fine... you're in steal posistion... try to steal [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd probably just fold on the flop.
If I did continue, raising has value, but I simply call his turn bet. I don't think after betting at you twice he's going to fold enough to justify the raise.

pf raise is marginal, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I thought of the pf raise as standard.

As for the flop, I'm getting essentially 4:1 on my bet, which should let me see the river for no more bets. I figure the times I have to pay another bet to see the river are roughly cancelled by the times I get a fold right away. I'm probably a little worse than 3:1 to make the winner by the river, hence the raise.

You're probably right about calling the turn.