Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Nope

The fact of the matter is those chips are pretty much wasted money. You might as well buy the plastic Bicycle/Hoyle chips. They are cheaper and will work just fine.

Note that the people calling some of the respondants "elitists" and "asses" don't have many posts or much experience buying chips.

Unless you can get those chips for free (affiliate deals) they are pretty much wasted money. Those are the facts.

I should know... I bought some once and definitely feel like I wasted my money. That's my personal opinion.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Nope

You can't even stack thin plastic bicycle chips, they slip and slide all over the place and make a mess. That's hardly a fair comparison to 11.5g composites. I think it's fair to say:
bicycle = bad
composite = good
clay/ceramic = best
Old 12-27-2004, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Wal-Mart now has good chips

That's pretty sweet. I bought 2 sets of 500 dice from costco and am extremely happy with them. I paid about $150 for 1000 chips. Much better deal than paying $1000+ for custom chips, or real clay chips. I'm not saying the quality is better, but so far I have no complaints. I use them about once a week, now cause it's christmas, but maybe once a month when school starts up again. For the hard-core weekly tournament hosts, then better quality can be justified....but for us average joes (and joannes), then this is as good as I care to get.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Wal-Mart now has good chips

For all the people ragging on 11.5g chips, I have a set purchased over a year and we all like them. I bought another set and they SUCK ASS. plasticy,hard, slippery. Found out there are two types, not sure why this isn't advertised anywhere or reviewed anywhere.
I'm sure the names are a bit loosely used, but the supposed 'clay' ones are much different from the ones on ebay, where all the ones I've found are the plasticy ones. They look similar but I've owned both and they are compoletely different chips! I don't think it still is 'clay composite' like they say, because they still have metal insert, but they are chalky and rubbery unlike the hard slippery plastic ones. The sound of the two chips is completely different also. The 'clay' has kind of a dull thud, the 'plastic' has a high pitched hollow sound.

Anyone know how come I don't see this information often? On stores that sell them and stuff? If I didn't fluke out and get a good set the first time, I never would have known there was a difference and would just have a set of crappy 11.5g chips
Old 12-27-2004, 04:02 PM

Default The dice chips

are not wasted money, they are perfectly fine chips.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:16 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Dice Chips 11.5G

I have a set of about 1500 11.5 gram Dice Chips. Got most of them at 5stardeal but then when I wanted more they didn't have enough in stock of the colors I wanted so I went through spinnettis. The color and size of the chips were different (5stardeal's were more vibrant/bright colored compared with spinnetis)

I also ordered up some custom sticker/labels for the chips (cheaper than hostamping) and everyone who attends my home game loves them (compared with that super cheapo set that you can buy that says "Texas Hold 'Em" on it and comes with the ridiculously thin felt and chips that I think break if you drop em)

So anyway, yeah, I would LOVE to get myself some Chipco Crystal Oyster or James Bond chips (got a sample set on the way so I can see for myself how good they are) But at almost a buck each, compared with 14 cents each for the dice chips I bought, I'm in no hurry to rush out and drop $700-$1000 on a set of new chips.

I'm able to chip shuffle my dice chips, although they don't stack too high because of the material. I'm sure the better quality chips stack and shuffle much better. In time I'll get em, but for most people the dice type chips aren't too bad for home games.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Dice Chips 11.5G

If chips are for business, they are tools of the trade.

If they are not they are toys. People have different budgets for their toys and for different types of toys. Cars, chips, computer equipment, boats, power tools - some of the many bottomless pits you can lob money into if it suits you...
Old 12-28-2004, 01:35 AM

Default Re: The dice chips

[ QUOTE ]
are not wasted money, they are perfectly fine chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's fine if you have that opinion... in my opinion they are wasted money.

Neither of our opinions are FACTS. We just have different views, and that's OKAY.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:25 PM

Default Read this. Stop arguing.

This whole stupid arguement can really be solved with one analogy. It's a car analogy so bear with me.

If the plastic interlocking bicycle chips were a car, they would be a Geo Metro. (serves its purpose in a most basic way)

The 11.5g chips are like the "Mustang" of the poker world. They are realitvely cheap and perform much like the other sports cars, but at a fraction of the price. (they also lack some of the frills and quality of the more expensive cars)

Your custom clay chips (chipco, paulson... ect) are the Porche and Ferrari end of the spectrum. These are extremely expensive for their relative gain in performance, but there's no substitute. They are flawless and just looking at them you can see their superiority. These are really intended for pure enthusiasts (who also have a pile of money laying arround).

In the end, if you want to get from point A to point B, the Geo will work. Your everyday average joe is probably going to be driving the Mustang because he can't afford/justify the Ferrari, and the Geo just isn't enough for him. And captain moneybags will settle for nothing less than his top of the line sports car, and that's fine, because he can afford it.

I hope this cleared up a little bit of the animosity here.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Read this. Stop arguing.

[ QUOTE ]
This whole stupid arguement can really be solved with one analogy. It's a car analogy so bear with me.

If the plastic interlocking bicycle chips were a car, they would be a Geo Metro. (serves its purpose in a most basic way)

The 11.5g chips are like the "Mustang" of the poker world. They are realitvely cheap and perform much like the other sports cars, but at a fraction of the price. (they also lack some of the frills and quality of the more expensive cars)

Your custom clay chips (chipco, paulson... ect) are the Porche and Ferrari end of the spectrum. These are extremely expensive for their relative gain in performance, but there's no substitute. They are flawless and just looking at them you can see their superiority. These are really intended for pure enthusiasts (who also have a pile of money laying arround).

In the end, if you want to get from point A to point B, the Geo will work. Your everyday average joe is probably going to be driving the Mustang because he can't afford/justify the Ferrari, and the Geo just isn't enough for him. And captain moneybags will settle for nothing less than his top of the line sports car, and that's fine, because he can afford it.

I hope this cleared up a little bit of the animosity here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well said.