Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Live Versus Online

I am having a hard time deciding whether to focus on more live versus online play. I have a smallish bankroll (2-3k) and only play to supplement my income. I have been back and forth between whether it is better to play live or online. I personally feel that it is not worth it to play limit live unless I have bankroll for 15-30 and above. I can multi table 2-4 to 5-10 and get about the same win rate. Recently I started playing some live 1,2 and 2,5 no-limit and found that it is a very profitable game. Is it to my advantage even though I live in Vegas to be playing online, because of less rake and more hands or should I be taking advantage of all the B & M around me. I am having a hard time figuring out which is best for win rate and rake. Are the 1-2 NL online games as easy as the live game?
Old 11-28-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Live Versus Online

For money, you can't beat the online game. More hands, ability to datamine helps (I'm just now starting serious online play after alot of live play) and the game selection. You can really pick and chose the table(s) you play on.

I really really enjoy playing live and won't stop my random trips to the cardroom but I see more oppurtunity online.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:30 PM

I am pretty sure it is illegal to play online if you live in Vegas
Old 11-28-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty sure it is illegal to play online if you live in Vegas

[/ QUOTE ]
it's illegal to play online in most states.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:42 PM

Really, I thought only a couple states made it illegal
Old 11-28-2005, 08:11 PM

Online is most certainly more profitable per hour if you multitable. Probably if you single table too.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:27 PM

Not to mention the rake that you pay online v. live makes online a no-brainer. You also don't have to tip the dealer and waitress.....so if you want to maximize your money play online. The only benefit of live play is being able to read people.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really, I thought only a couple states made it illegal

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so much the legality of gambling online that will get you (if they ever decide to start going after people, which is highly unlikely), it's the violation of interstate commerce laws when you cash out.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:46 PM

Online all day -- no tipping, multi-tabling, much greater table selection, etc, etc. The only real downside is not being able to read physical tells and the occasional computer glitch, still outweighed by the pros by a lot in my opinion.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention the rake that you pay online v. live makes online a no-brainer. You also don't have to tip the dealer and waitress.....so if you want to maximize your money play online. The only benefit of live play is being able to read people.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. From a money standpoint you are correct, but in a live game it is so much more fun. The social aspect makes it worth it to me to pay that rake, as opposed to online being extremely unsocial.