Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 09:47 PM

Default Funky mtt format

Saw an ad for a PokerRoom rebuy tournament that's a little odd.

First, the buyin is 10 + 5 for a 50% vig. There are unlimited rebuys during the first hour, but I don't know if there's any vig for those. I suspect not. I didn't see anything about a prize pool guarantee.

Second, there is a 10k guranteed added side pool for the top 10 people who bust out the most other players. (Ostensibly this is where all that extra vig goes.) Payout table is:

1. 30%
2. 20%
3. 16%
4. 10%
5. 8%
6. 6%
7. 4%
8. 3%
9. 2%
10. 1%

Any thoughts on whether this is a good structure? 2k people must play to break-even on the vig v. the side pool, otherwise there's an overlay, but only for the most bustouts.

I don't think bustouts count if a player rebuys, but I'm not sure. If they do, I'm pushbotting during the rebuy period unless I have a ginormous stack.

Would you make any other adjustments to your play at all because of the side pool?
Old 10-20-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Funky mtt format

If it gets paid to the players, does it really count as vig?

Also, to know if it would be worth adjusting strategy got a shot at the side pool, I think I'd need to know, roughly, the number of entrants.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Funky mtt format

After putting 10 seconds of thought into this, I have the feeling that trying to bust the most players directly conflicts with trying to win the tournament, because there's only so many times I should theoretically be willing to play 98 on an 852 flop for half my chips.

On the other hand, if you make it really far, most of the final table is gonna be in contention for the title, so it might just be a more top heavy payout in practice.

I dunno, I wouldn't play this (although it'd be closer if they kept a running tally of the numbers you could look at during the tournament) but it might be worth a theoretical number crunch somewhere.