Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 10:15 AM

Default I don\'t like my line here (2/4 6-max)

Villain is on the button, I am in the SB. Villain has been opening for $12 almost every time its folded to him on the button. For the most part, I've been giving up my SB without a fight or calling, getting a horrible flop, and check/folding. Villain is fairly LAG preflop, but seem to play decently postflop. He plays a lot of trouble hands (weak aces, suited K-rag, etc.) but hasn't shown down any of them as losers so he's either getting away when he's no good or running hot.

Folded to him, he opens for $12 on the button. I ($400) call in the SB w/8c6c. BB calls, too. Villain covers.

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($36)

Check, check, villain bets $35, I call, BB folds.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($136)

I really want him to have made a flush... I check, he bets $100, I call.

River 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($336)

I push

Edited to fix river card
Old 09-15-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Re: I don\'t like my line here (2/4 6-max)

Wow, I really like to check/raise this flop. It's pretty nasty against this guy I think. Says you are very weak.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I really like to check/raise this flop. It's pretty nasty against this guy I think. Says you are very weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought letting him fire a 2nd barrel if he has nothing on the turn was a superior play to letting him off easy on the flop. Doesn't checkraising the flop only get more money in if he's actually got something and wasn't raising ATC?
Old 09-15-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought letting him fire a 2nd barrel if he has nothing on the turn was a superior play to letting him off easy on the flop. Doesn't checkraising the flop only get more money in if he's actually got something and wasn't raising ATC?

[/ QUOTE ]
Against me and it sounds like against this guy, too, check/raising this flop will make you a lot of money. It will look like a bluff/semi-bluff and I will call to let you fire again on the turn and then push the turn quite often.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:40 AM

Any idea how would he respond to you donk betting the turn
1/3 pot?
1/2 pot?
3/4 pot?
full pot?

If he plays well postflop then you aren't going to be getting much more from him when he has nothing. If he does have something, then I think you get a lot more money in by leading...

fwiw, I lead so many flops I probably lead this one, but that is pretty specific in regards to how you are playing.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:42 AM

I think the best line here is to lead the turn(2/3 pot).
Old 09-15-2005, 10:49 AM

Given that he hasn't seen me make any semibluff checkraises, does that lower the likelihood of him believing a flop checkraise to be one?
Old 09-15-2005, 11:28 AM

wouldnt a min raise on the turn make him more likely to call a push on the river?

what a crappy river btw..
Old 09-15-2005, 11:45 AM

I don't think you got nearly enough in on the turn. Leading for $90 is what I would do here, he might fold 88-JJ but he'll get a ton of money in with a nut flush or Kx[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]/Ax[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] type hand and if he does have K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q or something he'll call/raise as well.

Basically, hands which will put money in on that turn and call the river push will probably get it in on the turn anyway, plus a bunch of hands which will fold to that river will also get it in on the turn.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, hands which will put money in on that turn and call the river push will probably get it in on the turn anyway, plus a bunch of hands which will fold to that river will also get it in on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. I didn't think about it from that angle during the hand.