Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Am I seeing too many flops if I call here?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 (poster) checks, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls...

No, I didn't end up winning the hand, and I folded on the flop. But is this an acceptable call on the button? I should be getting PokerTracker soon, so that I can check all of these things out, but as for now...
Old 05-26-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Am I seeing too many flops if I call here?

also...

in 1/2 full ring, unraised pots, what will you folks do with:

JT
JTs
KJ
KJs
QJ
QJs

Thanks!!
Old 05-26-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a fan of limping with this hand, even with position. This is not a hand that plays well multiway. If it was suited, I'd say go ahead and see the flop for a single bet.

Ask yourself this: What do I want to see on the board? Well, you want it to come 9 high, basically. If you catch an ace, there's a good chance you're already dominated by a better ace. You're basically playing this for two-pair value, which is slim value, indeed.

Fold that cheese unless you can get it headsup.

Regards,

T
Old 05-26-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

JT
JTs
KJ
KJs
QJ
QJs

[/ QUOTE ]

If there are 4 or more other players in, call with the suited hands for one bet. Don't marry them, fold unless I get a favorable flop. These hands play well multiway.

Fold them all if few players.

On the button, steal with KJs/KJo if folded to me.

There are times when you can try raising with the suited hands, but you won't lose much by never doing this. It mixes your game up, but no one is looking that closely at you playing low limit.

All of these hands are easily dominated, so be prepared to get away from them unless things really go your way.

Regards,

T
Old 05-29-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you catch an ace, there's a good chance you're already dominated by a better ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? In an unraised pot in a $1/$2 game, you really think that someone could have AT, AJ, AQ, AK and not raised pre-flop? I dont know about that (unless you're referring to the chance that someone flopped two pair with their A8-A2 or such, or some players' viewpoint that AK is a drawing hand with which you want to see a flop cheaply)

I'm not too experienced here, but I don't see how, unless another crap ace flopped two pair, you don't have the best kicker in almost all cases. I can see you getting surprised by AT every now and again, and a slowplayed AK every once in a while, but over the long run?
Old 05-30-2005, 12:22 AM

I play 1/2 all the time, and limp with AJ almost always unless I'm in late position and it hasn't been raised.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:32 AM

Ah, OK. I stand corrected.

Er, sit corrected.

I'm wrong, alright? RUB IT IN WHY DONT YOU???

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]