Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Return of the Grey Tweed Hat or Steamboatin\'s Revenge.

Low limit texas hold'em is just plain gambling, that is all there is to it.

My self-imposed two weeks off from live poker was up at midnight last night. I woke up at 5am this morning and decided to see if any sleepy drunks were still playing cards at Caesar's In. I get a seat at 6AM and it just like last month, card dead and when I get cards, I get outdrawn.

9AM our table breaks and I go to the next table with $40, down $60. Fifteen minutes later I am up $93 and headed home.

I wore my sporty grey tweed hat, just in case.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Return of the Grey Tweed Hat or Steamboatin\'s Revenge.

[ QUOTE ]
I go to the next table with $40

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf?
Old 05-07-2005, 12:50 PM

I sat down with $100, over the course of three hours i was down $60 so when our table broke, I just moved over with the chips I had left. Fifteen minutes later I had $193 and I had to leave to be home by 10 AM.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:54 PM

The swings go both ways, up and down. Just play the bigger buyin since you have the 'role'
Old 05-07-2005, 01:17 PM

My point was that unless you were playing 1/2 you should have had more thn $40 on the table.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:59 PM

I started with $100 and it was all most time to leave so I didn't rebuy. Actually, I never rebuy.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:18 PM

Humor me for a minute, what game were you playing?
Old 05-07-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I started with $100 and it was all most time to leave so I didn't rebuy. Actually, I never rebuy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to have at least 12 BB in front of you at all times. You never know when you are going to get the nuts and some drunk fish is going to go to the max with his bottom two pair. It sucks to run out of money in the raising wars when you have the best of it.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:44 PM

You have offended the young wordsmiths with your lack of money management skills - for this, you should be remorseful.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:27 PM

This is how I do it and I am wide open for helpful advice, flames or whatever, I can take it.

When I first began playing poker three years ago, I used a stop loss. I would buyin for 20-25 Big Bets and when I lost half my stack, I got up and went home. I figured I was overmatched or just unlucky that day. As my game has improved, my stop loss has changed. Now I buy in for 20-25 Big Bets and when that stack is gone, I get up and go home.

Now understand, I live about 25 minutes from the cardroom so going back is easy. I have watched other players closely over the years and I try to discover the differences between the winners and losers. I have watched people get up and reload time after time and rarely (if ever) do I see them recoup their losses for the evening or leave with more than the brought. I decided early on, that I was not going to be that guy that keeps buying chips and keeps on losing.

I am a firm believer that (unless you are an expert palyer)after you drop 20 or 25 Big Bets, you should take a break and closely examine your play and the game you are in.

I love to see people in my game buy more chips. It is one of the prettiest sights in the world. I doubt very seriously that you will ever see me buy more chips while playing limit. I will either win some chips or get up and leave when I have lost all of my buyin.

I think it is important to point out that I am a recreational player. I play poker for fun. If want to make more money, I just work a little harder selling houses. Selling a house pays much better than low limit poker.

Part of the enjoyment that I receive from poker is watching my game improve and working to become a better player. I am on a quest to become the best poker player that I can possibly become.

This very subject, upswings, downswings, standard deviation and variance is what I am woring on at the moment. I am trying to understand how much of a downswing is normal and when a downswing should raise a red flag and let me know it is time to reexamine my game.