Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Not just another question about \'going pro\'

I don't want to make another silly thread about going pro. I've done the search and read all the material on it. In looking through it, there is really only one question I didn't find answered. If anyone out there uses either poker or some other form of self employment as their primary source of income and also has a family, how do you handle replacing the 'benefits' you get from a 'real job'? Mainly what you do to replace insurance, cafeteria plans, 401k, etc.

I do apologize if this has been covered before, but I'm seriously contemplating quitting my 'real job' after March of next year once I get my yearly bonus and doing a combination of poker playing and freelance programming (I'm a software engineer) to pay the bills, but having a young child and planning to have another some time in the near future I'm a little worried about insurance and some of the other niceties that come from a 'real job'.

Thanks in advance, and if you'd rather discuss in PM please feel free to PM me.

-Rizen
Old 11-30-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Not just another question about \'going pro\'

So let me get this straight you have one kid and want another one soon and you are willing to risk everything playing poker. To be blunt -you are nuts to put your family at risk to play a game. If you were a 20 year old kid with no responsibility then I would say knock yourself out BUT come on lets put a little thought into this.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:37 PM

Since you have no idea

1. How much he makes playing poker

2. How much he expects to make as a freelance software engineer

maybe you should you be less of a dick and let someone who knows the answers to his questions respond.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since you have no idea

1. How much he makes playing poker

2. How much he expects to make as a freelance software engineer

maybe you should you be less of a dick and let someone who knows the answers to his questions respond.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:56 PM

I'm on the fence about being a dick or giving the guy his due. I think the more appropriate response by mshalen would have been to ask what kind of ROI he has and over what kind of length of time. I just hope the OP knows that he is capable of sustaining any variance by playing poker ONLY for a living.

I wish you luck Rizen and just hope you do consider all the factors involved.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:03 PM

It's none of his business what kind of ROI he has and over what period of time. The intent behind it (as I understand it) was to caution OP about danger of such a move. Obviously he is aware, ie. posting this thread, looking for advice from others who do so. Best of luck Rizen. One day I'll be pwning the 200k and 500k w/ ya'll.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:05 PM

My child is a teenager and my wife works as a paralegal, so we get all our benefits from her job. However, my wife has contemplated quitting her job and we got a LOT of good information from our financial planner. Therefore, I would suggest getting a financial planner who understands the business of gambling and does taxes. My financial planner takes care of all the retirement and taxes.

As for the rest, I don't know what a cafeteria plan is, so I can't begin to comment on that. And insurance can be gotten directly from an insurance company, it will just be a lot more expensive than the group plans you'll get from a 'real job'. Again, any good financial planner can help you with ALL of that stuff and more. So my best suggestion is, again, to find a reputable financial planner and discuss all this before 'going pro'.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pwned!
Old 11-30-2005, 04:02 PM

If he does this responsibly, there is minimal risk.

If he has the proper bankroll, and plays at the proper levels, there is probably no more risk than there would be of losing his job.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So let me get this straight you have one kid and want another one soon and you are willing to risk everything playing poker. To be blunt -you are nuts to put your family at risk to play a game. If you were a 20 year old kid with no responsibility then I would say knock yourself out BUT come on lets put a little thought into this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to single this out, but this isn't a 'going pro' thread. That part of the equation there is already a lot of good literature on and quite honestly I have all I need to make an informed decision on if I believe I can make it or not.

My concern is addressing 'other expenses' since I have a family. I already do significant freelance software work and have been a winning poker player for 2+ years (I was primarily a cash game player who dabbled in MTTs until recently). My non 'real job' income far outstretches my income from my 'real job'. I go to my 9-5 job because:

1) I enjoy it
2) I enjoy the benefits and stability it gives me

I've been considering more and more cutting out the 'real job' later next year though because I want to be able to spend more time with my family and there are some other things I would like to do with my time.

My financial situation is really none of your concern, but I appreciate your concern in my family affairs. Trust me, I would NEVER put my family at risk any more than absolutely necessary.

Thanks to those of you that pointed out a few resources I could use to find the information I needed. I'll re-evaluate my options when March comes around and see where it takes me.

-Rizen