Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 02:28 AM

Default North Atlanta --- Game and Discussion

Hey all....

I have an idea that I want to try out here in Atlanta. I want to start a monthly game with discussion.

Here's my thoughts:

1. Rotating games. Either a new one each month, or 2 different games a night. Hold'em, Omaha, No limit, maybe even crazy pineapple.

2. Low stakes. .25 = $1 chip, so .25/.50 blinds typically. A 25BB buy-in would be $12.50, with maybe a little taken by the house to pay for refreshments, etc (like $1 or $2 each).

3. Discussion. During a hand anyone can say 'I want to talk about this one' and when hand is over and pot is dragged we turn cards over and talk about it.

I'm not claiming to be able to coach anyone, I just thought this might be another interesting way to learn more about the game while getting live play experience.

Let me know if you are interested. If I get enough people I'll scheduled it for my house. I live up in Cumming, GA, up 400.

KO
Old 09-10-2005, 03:31 AM

Default Re: North Atlanta --- Game and Discussion

1. That would be fun, but it is hard to get people to play anything other than NLHE these days. If you can pull it off, definately do it.

3. Discussion should just be part of the game. A rule like this would be strange. Just promote an atmosphere in which discussion is the main point of the game.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:01 PM

I suggested we start discussing hands in our home league too. I don't think we'll have a rule to stop play like this, I think we'll only discuss the hand when the cards are shown.

steve
<font color="orange">North Shore Low Rollers</font>
Old 09-10-2005, 11:55 PM

Athens, so I'm a tad too far away. Plus I don't have (or need) wheels right now.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:05 PM

I'm in Alpharetta, just off Windward Parkway and am interested in the variety of games. I would prefer slightly higher stakes (.50/1 or 1/2 as I play 2/4 online) and am open to chipping in for food or whatnot (as long as it isn't a rake per hand affair kind of thing). I also like the idea of discussing hands after the hand is over.

If you need bodies, I can maybe drag along a coworker who doesn't know about this site, but does enjoy poker. Not sure if he'd be into the discussion thing, but I would explain the concept up front.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:35 PM

Cool, Tommy. Yeah, I work at Windward in the Nortel building.

I'm wondering if I should just make a date and advertise it... For the discussion thing I'd prefer it to be all/mostly 2+2'ers as a learning environment. If I went elsewhere to invite people I think the discussion thing might drop.

Hmm... is that strange?

KO
Old 09-15-2005, 07:44 AM

I'm definitely down for an Atlanta poker discussion-group. I can probabaly even bring a few posters and a few should-be posters. We already have a poker-night about 3 times a month. (It should be weekly, but it doesn't always work out that way...)

We're all math PhD students at GATech, so it gets plenty nerdy about the poker discussion. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] That also means we're happy with the low stakes; we currently play .20/.40, because we work hard at the game regardless of stakes, and don't want gradstudent-on-gradstudent financial violence.

Send me a PM when you get a date. Or, if you're interested, we can include you in our poker night. Just let me know.
-Sam

P.S. Traditionally, our game has always been NLHE. However, after a crazy session at the Wynn last poker trip, we've been playing some Pineapple, where "pineapple" = "CRAZY PINEAPPLE HI/LO WITH A FULL-KILL!! WOOOO!"
Old 09-15-2005, 03:01 PM

Awesome! You have transportation, I assume? I live a ways up north from GaTech.

KO
Old 09-15-2005, 09:31 PM

I'm in Acworth.

I would be very interested in the game and discussion. I can drive anywhere and also host if we get a tight group. I usually play NL, but would enjoy sharpening my limit game. PM me when you set this up.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. Traditionally, our game has always been NLHE.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a dirty lie. Traditionally our game has been LHE, and we have only played NLHE in a few small tournaments we set up. Please do not believe SamIAm and his reckless lies.

Um, the Pineapple thing is true though.