Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 05:43 AM

Default StarSpy and Pokerstars?

Since reading a recommendation here that StarSpy is an awesome tool for datamining Stars Ive read a few forums and from what I can see StarSpy is frowned upon but not officially banned by Stars support. It also seems that Stars are more likely to limit the effectiveness of StarSpy by software changes (eg limit number of tables, make you login) rather than the more drastic step of banning players and taking their bankroll

So what Im wondering is should I even bother installing StarSpy?

Additionally Im curious as to how many 2+2ers actually use it and have they received any emails/popups from Stars?

Thx
Old 09-09-2005, 08:26 AM

Default Re: StarSpy and Pokerstars?

Poker Star's Stance

I never had a problem while using it. Yes it is very helpful.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:00 AM

Thanks Closer.

yep, Ive read that email quite carefully and note that its dated July 15 2005. Since then I have NOT noticed a table limitation or the need to login to open tables that would limit StarSpy effectiveness.

It seems like the status quo is that for now StarSpy can be used with caution.....but Im still wary ....am I being weak tight or having a case of MUBS...probably....but thats what I posted this to try and find out what the greater 2+2 micro community thinks [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

thanks again for replying before this slips too far from micros front page

BTW can anyone tell me how I can "bump" this back to front page?
Old 09-09-2005, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker Star's Stance

I never had a problem while using it. Yes it is very helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing can be made out from that e-mail for sure -- Pokerstars' support kicks ass. Party would NEVER give a well thought out response like that.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:46 PM

I agree 100%. Anytime Ive had a problem on Stars and I email them the response is so quick its scary....they are on the ball for sure.

And because I like the stars software and playing there so much I dont want to get burned if I use StarSpy.

so to restate my question, am I being a weak tight sh*t scared wuss if I dont use StarSpy?

BTW FWIW with a bit of effort a reasonable macro program will allow a HH grabber macro that will do the same as StarSpy...Im thinking thats a better option. comments?

signed Paranoid [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2005, 01:11 PM

They will give you a warning before they do anything. This is because they, as they stated, don't think its cheating.

Also, how would they detect it? Its not exactly interacting with the site as far as I know. Its manipulating the software.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:59 PM

You don't actually have to log on to view tables (and obviously mine them.) Just something to mention if you are worried!
Old 09-09-2005, 08:42 PM

Ive always been a bit curious as to HOW Party, Stars etc can detect software on ones PC............since they can apparently detect PokerEdge I'd assumed the same for StarSpy regardless of if Im logged in or not

but then again Stars HH is just text files and a popup window and I cant see how they would be able to see a cut n paste tool that interacts with the Hand window.

thanks for the feedback guys...my paranoia has decreased to a reasonable level [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2005, 04:15 PM

Well, your paranoia wasn't too far off after all.

I just received another email from Jeff at PokerStars support. PokerStars have revised their TOS, and according to the new TOS any use of StarSpy is forbidden. Here is the email:

http://members.cox.net/starspy/new_tos.txt

At their request I am discontinuing distribution and support of StarSpy effective immediately.

It was fun while it lasted [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Best of luck to everyone, and thank you all for your support in this project!

Jay
Old 09-10-2005, 06:26 PM

I also think that some of the "software modifications" that they have made to reduce the effectiveness of datamining are now live. For the past 3 nights, when I observe a table before sitting down, I can not see the mucked hole cards until I actually play a few hands. I can still see the winner's cards and any cards the players choose to show, but not anymore than you might see as a spectator at a B&M.

This should significantly impact the reads available by mining/observing as opposed to playing.