Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2003, 09:03 AM

Default folded another winner. was I wrong?

just like last time I just sat down at a table and folded a winner a few hands in. Maybe I should of pushed my chips in instead of folding. not sure. any comments appreciated. maybe I shouldnt of even seen the flop.

Hold'em No Limit ($1/$2) - 2003/10/22 - 08:52:17 (ET) Table 'Mekbuda' Seat #9 is the button Seat 1: Kleptic ($199 in chips) Seat 2: drivetea ($106.85 in chips) Seat 3: le scud ($148.15 in chips) Seat 4: RickyZ ($196.45 in chips) Seat 7: HippoG ($307.60 in chips) Seat 9: Haplo ($314.95 in chips)
Kleptic: posts small blind $1
drivetea: posts big blind $2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Kleptic [3d 2d]
le scud: calls $2
RickyZ: folds
HippoG: folds
Haplo: folds
Kleptic: calls $1
drivetea: checks
*** FLOP *** [2c 3h 5c]
Kleptic: bets $5
drivetea: calls $5
le scud: raises $17 to $22
Kleptic: calls $17
drivetea: calls $17
*** TURN *** [2c 3h 5c] [Qd]
Kleptic: checks
drivetea: bets $12
le scud: raises $38 to $50
Kleptic: folds
drivetea: calls $38
*** RIVER *** [2c 3h 5c Qd] [7h]
drivetea: bets $32.85 and is all-in
le scud: calls $32.85
*** SHOW DOWN ***
drivetea: shows [4d Ks] (high card King) le scud: shows [Ad As] (a pair of Aces) le scud collected $234.70 from pot drivetea leaves the table
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $237.70 | Rake $3
Board [2c 3h 5c Qd 7h]
Seat 1: Kleptic (small blind) folded on the Turn Seat 2: drivetea (big blind) showed [4d Ks] and lost with high card King Seat 3: le scud showed [Ad As] and won ($234.70) with a pair of Aces Seat 4: RickyZ folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 7: HippoG folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 9: Haplo (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Old 10-22-2003, 09:13 AM

Default Re: folded another winner. was I wrong?

If you're gonna see the flop (questionable for sure), you have to call with that board and 2 pair.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:24 AM

Hmmm.

Preflop is fine, the flop bet is fine but I wouldn't know what to do with the raise. It's an unraised pot so a made straight could be out there, however he probably wouldn't raise that much this early. If you call that raise you have to stay in the pot as long as no scare cards come.

Since you called with your bottom 2, folding the turn is a mistake, that queen is a blank. Those bets say "i want you out of this pot" so I say raise all in.

All that said, I wouldn't always be at the turn with bottom two in a 3 way pot, i'd be quite afraid of 53 or some such, it's a "I've got 2 pair" betting pattern that was exhibited there, especially since it was unraised.

The AA guy got very lucky there.

Jon
Old 10-22-2003, 10:48 AM

thanks for the input, I think I definately played it wrong, probably should of moved in on the flop or folded.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:24 PM

thanks for the input, I think I definately played it wrong, probably should of moved in on the flop or folded.

no probs

I prefer either folding the flop or calling and moving in on the turn, you're more likely to shake off a drawing hand on the turn than the flop and you'll have more of an idea if you're up against a made hand then.

Jon
Old 10-22-2003, 01:59 PM

The main problem is your decision on the flop. You are at a decision that either 1. you are beat already (set, A4, or 46) and you want to draw for full house, or 2. You have the best hand

Your call and then later fold suggests that you felt you were beat and were drawing for a better hand. The problem here is your hand is not very improvable with only 4 outs. It is unlikely the turn or river made scud's hand any better. Therefore if you feel you are beat on the flop, don't draw and pass it. However, there is good reason to believe you are not beat on the flop, namely the overpot sized bet, a good sign of a weak hand. Often a big bet like that, is protecting a vulnerable hand, (Actually it's pretty typical play for someone holding JJ, or QQ with this flop) Also, you wouldn't expect A4, 46, or a set to bet so big, you'd expect them to check/call to trap everyone. Re-raising all-in is probably what you want to do on the flop, but I wouldn't risk it unless you have at least some sort of read on the player's style.

Anyway, some thoughts... ;D