Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Should my PFR% be lower at the lower limits?

[ QUOTE ]
I play almost exclusively at .25/.50 and .50/$1 limits. My pfr% is only around 4%. I am reluctant to raise pre-flop with hands like JJ and TT at these limits b/c so many players will play any ace, any king, etc., and I know when I'm in against 4-5 players and an ace, king, or queen comes on the flop I'm beat. I always raise with AA and KK, and I almost always raise with QQ, but I'll sometimes limp in in MP or LP with JJ and lower if 3 or more have already limped (I'm actually more likely to raise with JJ in early position if I feel it will narrow the field). Should I be concerned to increase my pre-flop aggression?

[/ QUOTE ]

From another relatively beginner's prospective and from my reading, you want to raise those hands because doing so in the long run you will win money. In simple terms, sure you will lose some pots to those people who play Ax and Kx when they hit the flop. But when they miss the flop or you hit the flop (a set or whatever), they will be paying enough and the pots will be big enough that in the long run you will win money. You got to look at the long term.

But it sometimes is psychologically hard, when you are in a downswing and they seem to be hitting the flop everytime and you never seem to hit it, to hang in there and keep playing for the long term profit.