Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 04:34 AM

Default Re: slowplay QQ on QJ3r?

There are absolutely times to slowplays sets.

This is absolutely not the time.

You raised preflop. People expect you to bet. They won't believe you have QQ. They will think you have AK. Now they raise. Now you reraise. Now you make money.

Note also that if you always bet (after raising preflop) when you miss or when your hand is vulnerable, but always check your monsters, people will pick up on that. Any thinking opponent will think your flop check is pretty fishy considering the board and that you raised preflop.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:58 AM

ouch, this is pretty bad

lead the flop already
Old 11-29-2005, 05:39 AM

Awful. Bet the flop 40000000% of the time. You will get action.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:47 AM

Default Re: thanks + results

[ QUOTE ]
As a rule of addendum, never ever slowplay a set

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree

SSHE has an example where you turn a set of 2's(my hand) and Ed suggests just calling the turn bet, since there are ppl left to act that will likely call 1bet drawing dead, but fold for 2 .. and the orig bettor could be bluffing
Old 11-29-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Re: thanks + results

Who am I do disagree with the bottom set master? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
There's a couple exceptions, but its much more profitable to lose the value when a slowplay would have worked because it's so rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

This ambiguous quote from my post was referring to sets; I do agree that there are some valid slowplay situations. What I'm trying to say is it's pretty tough to extract much more value from slowplaying sets because for every time we successfully identify the 1% of the time we can slowplay, we usually make a few poor attempts pushing the overall endeavor into -EV.

While bottom set experts like yourself can probably pull this off, us newer guys almost always get burned trying to slowplay weaker hands IMO. That was actually the reason I suggested the 2-card nut-flush in my post as a starting point; because the potential exists for so many people to hit a second best hand. IMO the amount of times newer players incorrectly let someone improve to better than their set offsets the usefulness of the play.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:58 AM

Grunching:
I have given up slowplaying at these limits. How many times do you have a hand that is pretty good (TPTK for instance) and you bet to the river and the chumps all call and suckout on you? A lot, in my experience. So, they will call, just bet and let them call. I seem to get bigger pots when I jut bet and occasionally you will get someone who tries a raise, and you go to war with people in the middle. Keep it simple, just bet.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:59 AM

You HAVE to bet here.

At these limits, pots will grow. Players at these limits always chase their backdoors if they can do it cheaply (sometimes even if it expensive)
Old 11-29-2005, 11:15 AM

IV. Thou shall not slowplay the flop when thou is the only one that showed aggression pre-flop.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:17 AM

Grunch:

I wouldn't slow play it with the straight possibilities and the number of players in the flop.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I only consider slowplaying flopped straight and royal flushes, and even then some jack@ss is going to draw out on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tilt factor on donk suck-outs to a beautiful set? Pretty donkin' HIGH. Bet, bet, BET