Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Musings on an archived quote

In an archived thread Irieguy says

[ QUOTE ]
Pros want to be able to play automatically and quickly. Especially young, inexperienced pros who have never checked a flop after raising preflop in their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]
Irieguy uses the quote to explain why many players prefer fewer starting chips to more, but that's not what caught my attention.

What puzzles me is, what would make an experienced player check where an inexperienced player would bet after raising preflop? I c-bet probably about 90-95% of the time, and had never thought much about it. In an effort to sleep better at night, I'm gonna list the reasons I'd consider NOT c-betting, giving up the impetus. I'm hoping you'll point out reasons I missed, or reasons I give that are stupid. Or maybe someone will see that my whole process of thought is off, and Irieguy was thinking about something completely different.

1) I flopped something worthy of slowplaying.
2) I’m either way ahead or way behind.
3) I got caught on a pf steal and my tourney would be at risk with a c-bet.
4) Villain is LAG and likely to raise, and I want the turn and river as cheap as possible.
5) My pf raise didn’t weed out enough opponents and I missed the flop.
6) Checking the flop will make villain easy to read (i.e. he only bets when he has a hand but will call my c-bet).

Sorry if this is difficult to read. It’s more brainstorming than coherence. Thanks to any responses.